• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fluid Goggles

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

wscutt

Nov 21, 2001
I'm looking for information on Fluid Goggles. I know that they exist but have been unable to find any information on them on the Internet. Does anyone know where I could find some more information about these? Thanks!

Supply problems

wscutt - look at the haptic contact thread. Eric F shared a link for fluid goggles there. I contacted them and was in the process of getting some when they lost access to the goggles that they had were using to for the fluid filling was lost. I haven't heard anything else since then but if I remember correctly the folks doing this were up in BC Canada so Eric F and the others up that way are your best bet. If you find out anything please let us know because I know many of us are interested in these. Warmly, Angus

Every day I receive so many requests for fluid goggles that I decided to create an e-mail list just for the goggles:
fluidgoggles@yahoogroups.com

To subscribe, send a blank e-mail to:
fluidgoggles-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Or, subscribe by visiting the list home page:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fluidgoggles

I have decided to bring the goggles back into production immediately, but there is a catch. You must make a group order (15 pairs minimum). You can order a single pair of goggles, but the cost would be the same as ordering 15 goggles. If I make less than 15 goggles, I lose way too much money. I have a long waiting list of people that I will add to the fluid goggles e-mail list. That way, interested parties can collaborate and create a group order.

Also, when I add the people from the waiting list, many of them already own fluid goggles, so you can ask those people who actually have them if they like them or not.

In the next few days I will add my list of people to the fluid goggles list, and I will send a detailed introductory message.

For those of you who don't know what fluid goggles are, they are goggles that have special lenses in them. You fill the goggles with saline water (the eye is totally immersed in fluid), you can see 20/20 (or close), and you don't need to equalize the goggles.

World records which have been set with fluid goggles include:
David Lee -45m unassisted (FREE)
David Lee -47m unassisted (FREE)
Yasemin Dalkilic -40m unassisted (FREE)
Yasemin Dalkilic -68m constant weight (FREE)
Eric Fattah -82m constant weight (AIDA)
Trevor Hutton -46m unassisted (FREE)
Jean-Michel Pradon -73m constant weight (french record) (AIDA)

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Let's talk

Eric,

Sounds good - do let me know if Deeper Blue can help you market and sell the goggles.

Thanks!

Deeper Blue Goggles

Hey Eric and Stephan,

I don't think I need 15 of them (unless they are really cheap and don't last very long). But if we could arrange group orders through Deep Blue that might benefit everyone. I know we had a discussion about Deeper Blue developing an online store. This type of speciality item maybe just the sort of thing for Deeper Blue look at and we could also support Eric in the process. That is extent of my business acumen and marketing expertise. But I would sure love to give them a go.

Eric, how many diopters does is lens in your fluid google?
Is it a glass lense, or do u use any high refractive material? Diamond :p

Good luck with the development.

Goggles

First of all, most versions of the fluid goggles have several lenses in each eye. At least one of the lenses is made from a very-high index material (not glass). The power of a lens in 'diopters' is defined as the inverse of the focal length in air. But, because the fluid goggles do not have air on either side, the concept of diopters has no meaning for them. If you wanted to take ordinary reading glasses and use them underwater to see, and assuming they were made of plastic, they would have to be about +10,000 D.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

One more thing

You mentioned 'diamond' as a possible material for the goggle lens. Diamond has a refractive index of n=2.42. The high-index material in the goggles has an index of n=2.47.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Interesting question about the goggles. I just measured them with air on both sides and they act like a closeup lense of +60 (+or- 50%). Meaningless of course but, interesting anyway.

Bill

Interesting idea these googles. My main thought is the impact on my eyes being open in liquid for so long (heheh - I wish). Especially in heavy sodium concentrations.

Any advice?

They are best used with saline solution. The same salt content as tears.

I've used them with local water (ocean water) without much problem. I'm just too lazy to fill them up with saline. :t Eventually my eyes get red though and only hurt when my eyes hit the open air.

I don't really use them recreationally, for that a mask has much more viewing area and ease of use. You really don't see all that much with the fluid goggles on, just enough to see the line, watch, and basic orientation - all good things for line diving. The newer Nirvana mask from Liquivision is supposed to be better in the visibility department.

That is interesting, your eyes don't really get sore until after surfacing to the air?

To me, that sounds as if the very thin layer of oil (produced in natural tears along with proteins and natural saline) is washed off while immersed.

If so, then simply putting artificial saline into the eyes after a dive will not return the eyes to the normal condition, since the oil layer is missing, and probably cold-sensitive.

Yeah, while immersed there is no pain, but to clarify, my eyes only sting once I take off the goggles and the eyes hit the open air...not just when I surface from a dive and the goggles are still on. The same thing happens if I only use a noseclip and no goggles.

Very sharp acute stinging for the first 3-5 seconds and then gradually tapering off to no pain after about 8-10 seconds, even though my eyes look as if I have been smoking drugs for the last hour...:naughty Perhaps water quality has something to do with it as well.

Most of my diving where I actually use the fluid goggles - depth work - takes place at a site about 3.5 miles from shore so that could mean that the water is "cleaner" than water closer to shore.

Anyone have a similar experience using fluid goggles in fresh water?

Last edited:
I've used Eric's goggles for a while now filling them up with seawater and I find I can see the descent rope, bottom plate and tags almost perfectly. There's a little magnification but otherwise they're great.

The only problem with using them for freshwater diving is that you might get an ice-cream headache as more of the face and sinuses are exposed to the colder water than would be the case with a mask. However I know of a few people for whom this is not a problem.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT