• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

flying with fins????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kirehe

Apr 28, 2002
I have a problem when flying. I am so afraid to pack my fins in a soft bag (as they might break), but they are the only bags that are big enough to fit fins in. How do you travel with fins you cannot take apart??

safe diving!

golf bag

I went to my local dept store and for 33.00 dollars bought a heavily padded golf club carry bag. Its perfect because it fits three sets of fins, most gear, and has plenty of room left over for clothes. It also has a hard plastic bottom as well as wheels. One of the best travel bags for the long fins.
Jim

Golf Bag Too

I too use a golf bag travel case to carry my fins and other dive gear. Mine is a hard case model - usually a little more expensive than the soft models, but I got it on sale :). It works perfect!

Scott

I use just "normal" semi hard suitcase... it is big enough that when I take footpockets off my fins I can fit the blades in right..
I have travelled several times like that with no problem...
so if you don't like look like a golfer..;)

In the last 2 weks, I have flown Air Canada, Gulf Air, and Egypt Air. A few months ago I flew Westjet in Canada as well, and on all of them, I have taken my monofin (in it's Waterway bag) onboard as carry-on! I saw on the yahoo finswimmer group that a mondiver did this all the time, so i thought I would try. I have had no problems at all, just some surprised expressions and curious security guards and flight-attendants. But no problems....the fin fits in most overheads...sometims it has to be curved a bit, or some planes have a big closet, and the diver from finswimmer said that he has oput it behind the last seats against the bulkhead.
So take'm on board if you like :)
Cheers,
Erik Y.
ps...went freediving off the south coast of England today, in 2 metre seas looking at the cliffs of Dover...beautiful!

I always take my C4 falcon80 as hand luggage, no problems with that. Last trip I took 2 pairs of carbons and my cressi gara, even then no problems.

great diving, Pim

one more idea

In between my post from this morning and this one, I've packed my fins for Honduras. Didn't want to take the large golf bag case on this trip, so put the fins in an old army-type duffle bag and packed my clothes around them. Wouldn't treat the carbons this way, but the plastics should be fine.

Scott

Kirehe,

I have traveled with my carbons multiple times by packing them in the center of my duffle exactly as Scott described. As long as they are not close to the edge of the duffle, they will not get severly bent and subsequently damaged (remember, carbon fins have alot of flex to them).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT