• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Foam Filled Float Fabrication

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

defofthecrown

Morone saxatilis
Mar 8, 2003
Decided to drill a hole in my boat fender/float and fill it w/ great stuff expanding foam. Great idea right? Wrong. There isn't enough air exchange(?) to catalyze the reaction, ergo liquid polyureathane filled float (not good).

The can says you can mist a little water, and I have tried CPR on the float by conducting a series of compressions to exchange the air, but it's not working.

Anyone else had more success w/ this. I'd hate to drill more holes.

Please advise.

Which brand of expanding foam?

That DAP stuff or 2 part?

use the two part one sold in boat equipment stores e.g. westmarine etc.

Sweet. If it's $15 there it's going to be like $35 at west marine (uggh I loath that store). So I'm looking for the 4lb stuff, right? Isn't that the same density as divnycell(sp)?

they all come in different grades of floatation. i would just buy the one with the most.

I believe 8lb. is the standard for heavy duty stuff. 4lb. should be good for your applications.

I tried filling my cracked carbon barrel with the cheap spray-in expanding foam... it was quite an ordeal.

Why does the float need to be filled with foam,isn't the air inside boyant enough? That boat fender is probaly better than those
inflatable floats i've seen on ebay ,there like cheap pool toys and they sell for more than fifty bucks.I've used pour foam to repair surfboards and it seems to work better if it's mixed in small batches ,it also sets up fast so if you make small batches there will be less waste.Post some pics to show how it all turned out as
I will need to get a float sometime soon.

Originally posted by ajwaverider
Why does the float need to be filled with foam,isn't the air inside boyant enough?

The air will compress as it gets towed under and deeper. The foam won't or at least it will compress less.
For what the RA floats go for, I don't know that the expense of a fender, the 8 pound foam and the dicking around are worth it.

sven
DB Forum Mentor and Sultan of Smooth

One day teacher I will be able to snatch the pebble from your hand . Lol ha ha

Originally posted by icarus pacific
For what the RA floats go for, I don't know that the expense of a fender, the 8 pound foam and the dicking around are worth it.

True dat homey!

Click the link in my sig.

The price has gone up a bit, mainly due to the $$ falling greatly agains the SA currency. This affects anyone carrying RA or Rabitech equipment(as Sumora noted in another thread). I originally bought one of the 11-liter floats for ~$30 :( Since my friend cockaroached it, I need another... but decided to stick to my inflatables since primarily use floats away from the area. Damn kelp :head

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT