• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Footpocket/blade compatibility

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

arca_tern

Oct 14, 2006
I am looking at upgrading my fins (sizing and performance issues) and looking into getting modular fins - either buying the pockets and blades seperately, or getting a decent set of both with the option to upgrade down the road.

Nothing near where I live, so will be ordering sight unseen.
Because of my wide feet I was looking at the following pockets: (based on availability in Canada):

Mares Razor
Sporasub spitfire
Mako competition
The Mako and Mares look to have almost identical mounting systems, with the sporasub slightly different.

Do all these pockets have inter-compatible blades?
Ex: Can a Leaderfin fit only all of those, or only specific ones? What about C4s?
Does it depend on the length of the rail of the pocket and of the blade?
Is there a "standard" that most brands use? Or at least one or two dominant competing standards?

Side note, how stiff are the spitfire blades vs the mares razor and razor pro?

Many thanks everyone.

I'm using Majestic carbon fins, it is hand made, very efficient, comfort price and you can order it with Mares razor footpocket.

I am looking at upgrading my fins (sizing and performance issues) and looking into getting modular fins - either buying the pockets and blades seperately, or getting a decent set of both with the option to upgrade down the road.

Nothing near where I live, so will be ordering sight unseen.
Because of my wide feet I was looking at the following pockets: (based on availability in Canada):

Mares Razor
Sporasub spitfire
Mako competition
The Mako and Mares look to have almost identical mounting systems, with the sporasub slightly different.

Do all these pockets have inter-compatible blades?
Ex: Can a Leaderfin fit only all of those, or only specific ones? What about C4s?
Does it depend on the length of the rail of the pocket and of the blade?
Is there a "standard" that most brands use? Or at least one or two dominant competing standards?

Side note, how stiff are the spitfire blades vs the mares razor and razor pro?

Many thanks everyone.
It is a very good question. I am 'attached' to my Mares Razor footpockets as they have high insteps and wide soles. They are also reasonably priced. The attachment system is garbage. There are several things:
1) Any blade can be 'dremeled' if needed to fit into a Mares footpocket. You just need a Mares blade as a template. Do not be shy to use abrasive discs on carbon fiber or fiberglass blades
2) Holes. A lot of good blades do not have through holes. For example Greek blades since they are intended for a glue-in Pathos footpockets. Drilling is no problem at all. Mares holes are 6mm.
3) The bend. This is a tricky one. Mares blades have a smooth bend between the part that goes into a footpocket and the rest of the blade. Some blades have a more pronounced 'crease'. It could present a problem if after shoving the blade all the way into a footpocket the place where holes to be drilled are exactly on the 'crease'.
4) On Mares fins the side clips that are supposed to keep side rails together with the blade are loose and most people lose them. Also the plastic part that sits in front of the footpocket and holds the screws often cracks at the point where screws get into them. I replaced that system with a more reliable homemade one.

So my recommendation would be to go with Mares as they are cheap (at least in Europe) and widely available. You also can go with the plastic Mares blades (if you are price-conscious) and later upgrade while having the plastic blade for template purposes. Or go with F740 fiberglass or C740/Matrix carbon from Mares). You would have to probably get them from Europe since in North America they are too expensive. I am using Mares Razor Carbon that I had to repair due to some hairline cracks in the blade attachment area. They are better than new now. This blade is highly rated. It is not the best but very good.
You also can contact leaderfins since their footpockets look suspiciously like Mares Razor. They are cheap and they have good selection of blades.

Also check this out - these blades are Mares razor - compatible:

Cheers!

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT