• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Footpocket width

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Aerospike

Jul 17, 2001
Hi all,

I'm a freediver (still a rookie :eek:) from The Netherlands. A few weeks ago I tried some sporasub freediving fins. My feet are kinda long but no very wide, so the footpocket was much to wide for me (can't swim with them). Even with 3mm neoprene socks. I'm not sure how I can solve this.. do you guys have an idea?

Thanks,
Aerospike

Hi Aerospike,

I have just the opposite problem, I have quite wide feet, and it seems that Sporasub and OMER both make fairly wide footpockets. My suggestion is that you try some other fins, perhaps some Picassos, Beachats, any good freedive fin you can.

Best wishes,

Doug

welcome aero!
I have the same problem as Doug (free 48),-too wide and too long. The narrowest foot pockets I've experienced in my continuiing search for footfit have been with the Esclapaz brand. They've got a good, basic plastic blade too that holds up well.
Somthing else you might try is adding thicker material to your socks in the areas that need the additional. Testing with patches of 3,5, and 7mm material, much as with a patch for corns, might do the trick.

sven

Aerospike

Take a piece of 5 mm wet suit material about 15x5 cm and place it beside your foot on the outside of the widest part. If that doesn't make things better, use two pieces (10mm thick). That should get you started. When you get things right you can glue the shim to your sock or bootie.

When you get good at this you can build a bootie with 2 or 3 thicknesses that fits the way things should.

best wishes
Bill

You mean custom made footpockets? You know a store where they do that? It's probably expensive though.. but it whould be the best solution I think.

long and thin

I have long thin feet and am quite comfortable in Picasso BTs with 5mm booties.

Hi Aerospike,

I was joking, it sounds like Bill is quite expert in making booties that fit his feet.

Doug

Does omer blade fit into picasso shoepocket? I know that omer and sporasub blades fit to both omer and spora shoepocket.
I'm just asking because picasso fins are quite expensive here, but i can get omer and sporasub blades for reasonable price.
Thanks
Tuomo

Fin fit

I slit the back two inches of the foot pocket top and added shoe laces to my sporasubs. It's not quite right yet but it is a large step in the right direction. I think the fin is working better. I dove to 39 meters in 1:13 without pushing. The Beuchats will get the same mod for next weekend.

Aloha
Bill

what a footjob...

I just tried another pair of Picasso carbons and am just so damn frustrated that I can't get 'em to work with my size 13US feet w/5mm socks... Hey Roger!!, (at Picasso) what's with advertising they fit 14's?!

Not like I'll get an answer...

Anyway, I'm a little, OK, I'm not at all thrilled with the idea of cutting slits and eyelets into a rubber that'll be stretched to the extent that the foot pockets are when worn. I've installed grommets in wetsuit neoprene and have been OK for about a year or so before they start tearing. For what the carbons go for, a year per footpocket ain't gonna make it. Maybe this is my opportunity to go into the custom footpocket business:confused:

sven

Hi,

I'm with you on that one. I'm totally leary of putting eyelets into fins, for the reason that you stated. I've been using shoe stretchers with some success on my new OMER Milleniums footpockets, but they are along way from being able to accept
winter rubber. I have glued 5mm neoprene toe caps on my 5mm
socks to seal the toes, but they are pinching my toes, so the heat gain is off-set by reduced circulation.

Best wishes for the holidays,

Doug

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT