• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

For Alison

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thankyou very much for sharing those lovely words Sara. :) Very nicely done.

That was a really fine tribute, I think a permanent icon somewhere on the board would be nice. Just a friendly reminder to the ones that knew them and for others to read about that didn't.

I have just read the bad news on the BSA, I feel gutted and for once I'm lost for words
Goodbye and God Bless
YakDiver

island_sands said:
And then it dawned on me. I was unable to say those last words. Unable to tell you what I wanted to tell you. Unable to continue our last chain of laughter. Unable to do anything. It was over. Unable to say anything more. You were gone. Finished. I couldn’t’ even tell you how I much I loved you as a friend, even though I know that you knew it.

Its taken me four days to find the courage to to return to reading the DeeperBlue threads. Ever since I found out about this tragedy Ive been numb, unable to reconcile the passing of a friend with the inane mundaity of life.

I sat two exams at Uni since I found out, in each one the mantra of "Alison would kick your ass if you fucked this up" running through my head.

Because thats the kind of person Alison was, putting others ahead of herself, encouraging us to reach for our dreams, and "stuff the consequences".

I never realised how much her messages meant to me, how much her wit and humour did to cheer me in my failure, and lift me in my triumphs.

Alison: Goodbye my friend, see you in that great ocean beyond, where the viz is perfect and the water is warm....

Non ti avevo ancora ringraziata, Alison, per la tua gentilezza. Il tuo esempio, io spero, mi accompagnerà. Te lo scrivo con le mie parole perchè sono certo che, dove tu sei ora, nessuna lingua è sconosciuta: immagino che tutto adesso ti sia chiaro (anche l'acqua, se c'è). E se lassù andrai a pesca, stai all'occhio.
V.

Molto Grazzie per la tua bella parole spaghetti.

I will translate Spaghettis words:

"I have still not thanked you Alison for your kindness. Your example will always accompany me, i hope. I write in my own language because i am sure that wherever you are now no languange is unknown: i imagine that everything now is clear (even the water) And if up there you are going spearing, keep an eye out for us."

Thanks Spaghetti

I have not been on this forum for sometime and to find out Alison and Colin dead was devastating, I just had a look at my personal messages and to find out there is one from Alison wishing me a happy birthday :-
Hey Richard, have a good one and have many more too Loads of love XX
and I never thanked her for it .......................

Over the time I have been a DB member, I have seen Alison and Colin grow from ordinary members to some of the main contributors to the forum, and recently, Alison's promotion to Team Leader. They have always given helpful advice and Alison often PMed me to answer my questions.

They got through the tsunami together, and were an example to us all with their brave recovery.

We had many laughs about all sorts of things. I will never forget her funny replies to my posts.

I remember in particular that once I found a goldfish and I told the story on Deeperblue, and Sam said "I hope he finds a happy home!". Alison replied "I think he has got one already :)". I still have the goldfish.

Her birthday was on the same day as mine, so we would both wish each other a happy birthday.

On July 7th (London bombings), she was one of the people who contacted me to see if I was OK. I can remember I was moved to tears that people who had never even met me remembered that I live in London and were concerned enough to ask immediately. This was one of the things that confirmed to me that most freedivers are very special people. I have never encountered any other group where there is so much good feeling towards others.

It will be a long time before I stop thinking 'What would Alison have said about that?'

There are a precious few people who are willing to go out of their way for others. I believe they are happy now, wherever they are.

Stay safe everyone

Lucia

it's amazing how many lifes could be touched so deep in so many ways, without even see each other face to face. I love you all sisters and brothers you certainly make me a better human being ...

Always take care please

Last edited:
My first time checking this board since having to relocate after Katrina....damn. i also had an unread pm...."Hurricane season! How are you fairing there? I hope all is well and you're safe, this Katrina thing is giving your area a hard time; say hello when you can just so we know you're OK - Ali"

Alison, we had our share of words both kind and some not so. You had a way about you that could tame the wild beast, even me most times. Wish I could get one more pm from you reminding me not to be a jerk to some newbie pot stirrer.

Colin and Allie, you know that we're not mourning for you. God loves human beings so much more than we can love Him that heaven is assured. When entering into the ecstacy of the Presence of Infinite Light earthly concerns must be laughable. No, we weep for each other, for the ones you left behind. We mourn because we will no longer hear the wit, feel the warmth and enjoy the worldly amusement that you used to give us and we will miss it terribly. In time the grief will lessen and we will get on with the rest of our lives, the ones not cut so cruelly short as yours, but there will always be a void, an aching hollow that Time can never fill. Rejoice in the Lord. Glory in the Infinite. We, in our own time, will join you there but the waiting will be cold and long. Dearest friends, holiness!

Shadowkiller said:
"...thats the kind of person Alison was, putting others ahead of herself, encouraging us to reach for our dreams, and "stuff the consequences".

I never realised how much her messages meant to me, how much her wit and humour did to cheer me in my failure, and lift me in my triumphs.

Alison: Goodbye my friend, see you in that great ocean beyond, where the viz is perfect and the water is warm....

Indeed. Well put Shadow.

I just noticed the "Reputation" (or Karma as deeperblue seniors still call it) given to me by Alison. I am feeling sad, and the words of of M.T. Solomons come to mind:

"Resting in the ballance between awesome potential and the brink of annihilation"
http://www.freedivers.net/indexeng.htm

peace everybody

I only spoke with allison very briefly, maybe a couple of times, I am in shock myself at how fast and ruthless life can be. I guess all of you said pretty much what needs to be said. I can't claim i was best buddies with alison, but for the brief time i knew her, she seemed to be a marvellous person and will definitely be missed. I join you in your mourning and as for allison and collin, may they rest in peace and find heaven together.

Reactions: Freediver81
After reading the post about a dive for Alison and Colin I came to the conclusion that life is way to short and unpredictible. I felt like the old saying "one foot in the grave the other on a banana peel" So I felt the best way to say good bye was to go dive.
I ordered a new set of bats that I have been wanting for some time. The day after they came was perfect. The water was like glass the air was warm. A perfect fall day. I pondered my spear gun but decided this was a day for living.
Off to the lake I run. My first time in open water since I broke my neck.
From there everthing started to mess up. First I get stuck putting on my wetsuit but I overcome. Next the water is 53 degrees and my mask dont want to seat around the hood still I persist. The milfiol is so thick that I remove my weight belt to cruise over the top. Upon reaching the drop off I discover that the vis is terrible like 3 feet but today is a day for living. So today will be some drills. I thought of Alison saying that her belt was with her for 30 years. I Drop a line and grab my belt and to the bottom I go. I remove it and hold on to it back to the surface. Several more times for good measure. On the last drill I look at my wrist and it says im deeper than where I started. shoot! my dive tube has drifted. O well Then as I was comming back I noticed somthing below it was large and moving. Aquick breath and a duck to find a sturgeon nosing in a wall of clay. I surfaced and grabbed my torche I droped again but where is the wall. I looked to my left and there it was almost four feet tall and seemed to run for 30 feet. Full of holes from the fish. In this lake this is good structure for the other fish and this place is one of my favorite fish spots. Like all fishermen we name our best spots so to throw off the not so good. It will not be on any maps but it will be Ali's wall on my fish map. A great day to dive.

jim

Just noticed my Rep power was up - checked it and you know who gave me the last bit? Alison, the day before she and Colin were taken. Some very kind words about my own little troubles left by someone I'd never met before, like a good friend.

It made me look around this place a bit more to see the footprints she's left behind - it seems she always had or made time for people. Missed indeed :(

Last edited:
I wish I could have known Alison and Colin as it sounds like they were lovely lovely people who touched you all so deeply. My heatfelt thoughts go out to all of their friends and family here... I'm in floods of tears reading this thread.

You know, people like this are stars & they'll be with you forever....

Reactions: Freediver81
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT