• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

For those with weight belt problems

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Adrian

Deeper Blue Beachcomber
Supporter
Nov 23, 2002
My weight belt lies under the ocean,
my weight belt lies under the sea,
My weight belt lies under the ocean,
Please bring back my weight belt to meeeeee.....:cool:

I was reading a Spanish spearo magazine called Pesca Submarina #16 and one of the tricks it showed was to take a cord, tie it to the back of the weight belt, pass it between the legs and then attach it to the front of the belt. They said that this way one didn't have to tighten the belt so much, making it easier to breath up, as well as while keeping it in place when inverted. I thought cool! But then I started thinking about the safety issues and thought that the cord might interfere in a situation where you had to drop the belt quickly. Especially for monofin users.

I drilled a small hole in the lower edge of the buckle, (A) - (make sure it's filed and smooth) and then passed the cord through it, in this case a handy shoe lace, afterwards closing the buckle with the cord pressed between the edge and the buckle's flap, which keeps it in place. (B) When I need to drop the belt and open the buckle there isn't any more pressure against the cord and it slips out without any resitance.

An alternative may be to not to drill anything. Just take the cord and close the buckle on it from the top. (C) The only drawback here is that if you snag it on anything it might pop your belt buckle open. This won't happen if you pass it through the drilled hole because any pull will come from below, the direction in which you close buckle.

I'm going to try it next time I'm in the water. I think it will be nice not having to worry about finding your belt around your armpits even if you did have it snug around your hips to start off with!

Any suggestions?

Adrian

Attachments

• wb.jpg
    wb.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Reactions: DeepThought
have you tried a rubber belt? after switching to a rubber belt i cant beleive anyone still uses the canvas ones. but nice work on your belt. very good idea.

No I haven't yet, if it works it'll be better than fiddling around with extra strings! :D

Adrian

Yes Adrian
Agree with Griff, after using a rubber belt, I don't have this kind of problem anymore

<----- One more Rubber belt believer!

Since I bought a rubber belt, I don't even notice my belt unless the long part comes untucked! I couldn't do without it now! They're pretty cheap from the deeper blue store Adrian, which is in Spain of course, so you'll pay less shipping than I did as well. I just bought the cheapest Marlliese (sp?) belt I could find at Jon's suggestion and it's great.

Aaron

For deep dives, it is extremely advantageous to have the weight belt slide up between your armpits. This moves your center of gravity forward and allows a much more stable, relaxed sinking phase. This sliding forward of the belt will not happen properly with a rubber belt.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

At this moment I'm talking with my brother, Karl, and he agree with Eric, he prefers that the weight belt moves to the armpits, the descent is much easier. He notice that on his last constant dives.

I used to dive as well with the canvas belt. the problem is, when the belt moves forward/downwards to the armpits, it sometimes doesn t stay at the armpits, but smashes the weight directly on the head, not a nice experience !! so rubber belt works fine for me !

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT