• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Force Fins and "Power Fins"

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Stephan Whelan

Papa Smurf
Staff member
Admin
Jan 7, 1999
Right, time I started researching some new articles and one that i'm particularly interested in is the "Power Fins" out in the marketplace at the moment.

Examples include Force Fins and Scubapro Twin Jets.

I'd like to hear from anyone, either publically through this forum or via email, on what they like/dislike about these types of fins as well as any other general comments on innovations in the Fin market.

I look forward to hearing from you...

------------------
Stephan Whelan
Publisher/Director

Deeper Blue [ http://www.deeperblue.net ]
The Online Resource for the Underwater World

I have tried both Force Fins and Appollo Bio Fins , with a drysuit and scubagear. I know that the stats show that these fins have good thrust, but I had to thrash my legs quickly, as if I were swimming with no fins on. One might think that is a good thing, but I disagree, because I couldn't stay relaxed and keep my heart rate down- thrashing fins quickly doesn't seem to help me stay relaxed. I am an avid freediver, and don't think that I'd trust my life to this kind of fin. I'll let Umberto,Pipin and Loic try them first....if they throw away their feediving fins and start diving to 80 metres with split fins, then I'l take a look at them..Erik

I have tried both Force Fins and Appollo Bio Fins , with a drysuit and scubagear. I know that the stats show that these fins have good thrust, but I had to thrash my legs quickly, as if I were swimming with no fins on. One might think that is a good thing, but I disagree, because I couldn't stay relaxed and keep my heart rate down- thrashing fins quickly doesn't seem to help me stay relaxed. I am an avid freediver, and don't think that I'd trust my life to this kind of fin. I'll let Umberto,Pipin and Loic try them first....if they throw away their feediving fins and start diving to 80 metres with split fins, then I'l take a look at them..Erik

My buddy got the Apollo's when they first came out. I think split fins are great for swimming around at a constant speed, but they don't accelerate well. That's why they haven't caught on with freedivers--it's too hard to power off the bottom. If you're sightseeing on scuba like most recreational divers do, they're probably your best bet. My buddy swims quickly (on scuba) even though he doesn't feel like he's exerting himself. I have to huff and puff with my Cressi's to keep up at cruising speed, but don't tell HIM that.

New Fin Design's

I have a pair of the Mares Volo fins, which I love. Having fairly short legs (I'm only 5ft 6) and regularly having to keep up with taller and physically stronger divers I have found that these fins are great.
Cruising at my normal speed I use fewer fin stokes and the resistance I felt has been greatly reduced making the dive far more comfortable. I haven't found the acceleration problem to be an issue with this particular design as found with the Apollo's mentioned by Mako.

Last edited:
I've used force fins for quite a while. I got my first pair back in 82' when they first came out. I bought them because I was a very skinny little kid whose legs would cramp up in the power fins of the day. I have since gotten bigger and they have moved to the back of the gear bag.
You can kick like crazy with them and not get tired. Of course you don't really go anywhere either. I now use Turtle fins with my drysuit and freediving fins with everything else.
I have tried the scubapro split fins. They feel just like force fins- only more expensive. The other major problem with them, is that you can't do other types of kicks with them very well. Force fins are also usless for snorkeling on the surface.
One last thing. I was dumb enough a few years ago to buy force fins answer to freediving fins. I thought that I could get the same kick out of them and save space when I travel. I was a sucker. They are the worst freediving fins I have ever bought. They do not give you the thrust you need to get down quickly. God, I wish I would have saved that money to buy some carbon fiber fins.:duh

Don't waste a dime on either of these fins.

Jon

Twin Jet

I am the happy owner of a pair of black Scubapro Twin Jet fins and I must say, for SCUBA diving they're the best.

These fins are very comfortable on your feet and are still able to give you the extra thrust you need in case of emergency (strong currents, rescue activities).

But Beware; there is a difference in the flexible black type and the floppy grey type of Twin Jet!
(The grey Twin Jets might be extremely comfortable for recreational diving but I wouldn't trust them when it gets rough and they do give me the feeling I'm wearing plastic bags on my feet instead of fins.)

Another important notice: these fins are NOT designed for Freediving NOR Finswimming, they are genuine SCUBA fins.

Cheers!

Lynn

Twin jets may be designed for scuba, but I wouldn't use them for anything besides swimming in a straight line. They are a line enanglement hazzard in wrecks or caves. They also supply less thrust than my regular jetfins if I am in a hurry- or puishing doubles and stages through the water.
They are easier on the legs while kicking in a straight line- feels just like a force fin pro at 1 1/2 times the price.
Stick with something basic and versatile like a jet fin or a turtle fin- if you have really big feet.
Jon

In 20 years of diving, I tried the old vented fins, the odd jobs like the Farallon Fara X (steel spring heel straps), composit and split tip fins. My fins I dive with right now are the IDEA 3 with the ellipical tips. I get good power without churning like a propeller to get anywhere. The split fins I tried at Vortex Springs did give good power, but I just didn't use long enough to form a solid opinion.

I've used both the Force Fins and the Scuba Pro Twin Jet Graphites. They are an interesting experience (especially the Twin Jets) as you have almost zero resistance so it feels like your not wearing any fins - quite disconcerting.

The only problem i've found with them is in high currents they lose their ability to provide thrust. I was caught in some high currents last August in the Red Sea at depth and had a nasty experience of exerting a lot of energy and not going anywhere, whereas my buddies with stiffer, one blade fins were at least going somewhere.

Apollo bio-pro

Hi,
i use a pair of Apollo Bio pro split fins and i must say, they are great. I feel there's a kind of witch hunt about split fins, like people not wanting to believe that they can be that great. I've also read that for surface swimming they suck. Well, personnally, for surface swimming, they are great, i tired MUCH more then with paddle fins. The best thing about those fins is that they offer a LOT less resistance, no a lot less leg cramp to you. BUT you have to learn to use them and completely change your way of finning with them. I fin in no more then 6 inch movement length, more then that you start generathing drag and the fins loose they're efficiency, think about a propeller from a boat. With boat propeller, to get more power, you dont get bigger blades, you change the pitch.

This (http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/smackdown/) very good article about them from David Taylor about them will help you understand better the thing about split fins.

When you freedive, you will make the duck maneuver, then, when youre blade fins hit the water, give a couple of powerfull kick to get to speed and let yourself enter the blue.

With split fins, you do the same but, instead of kicking powerfully, you start to propel and you accelerate to your target speed. So you either use a lot of energy once, or less for more time.

With the split, i dont feel like fighthing against the water, i let it flow over me, i propel myself in it, i dont force myself to it.

For under water photography, everybody say they suck, and imho, they are right.

Hope it help!

In my humble opinion, these fins are designed for those with more money than sense. I've use Mares avanti fines and they do the job.

The major conideration for fins are (wait for it .....) the fit !. why do you need extra power to go fast (?!!?) and why are you swimming against the current (?!!?) wasting your energy and air ?

regs

Stuey

I might agree about the high end Force Fins but you can buy a pair of Pro model Force Fins for 89.95 plus shipping. I've used them for years and think they are great.

in order of appearance...

(Here's a bit of a nasty remark for you divers...)

It might help to develop a correct swimming style too?

I have been finswimming (competition) for some years now; for SCUBA diving I use the Scubapro Twin Jet (the firmer black version) and they're great.
I have done my outdoor CMAS instructors exams with them, swam in currents, ... no complaints whatsoever.

Thing is; learn to swim first, then try out some types of fins and buy the ones that suit you best.

Happy paddling !
rofl

Lynn

I have a pair of Force Fins. I feel like I am kicking like hell and going nowhere fast. I use Turtle fins with my drysuit , Tusa Liberators with my wetsuit and Cressi Rondine Pros in the pool.

Ron

It seems people have numerous opinions on Force Fins, especially the Split Fin design. You either hate them or love them!

Anyone else got any opinions on them?

Split fins good for scuba

I have a pair of Apollo Bio fins Pro and used to use these for scuba diving quite a bit. I loved them when I first started using them for scuba but when I got my legs a bit stronger from stiff freediving fins, It felt too wierd swapping between the two extremes. I think they are a very efficient fin for scuba and I definitely used less air with these.

I think the biggest problem with these fins is that the blade size/stiffness is not enough for most people.

For scuba, I'd say the bigger divers or those with strong legs would hate the Apollo's. For smaller divers they would be fine.

Don't forget these were the first split fins to hit the market and I think the newer models will improve on this. I saw a review of fins and they mentioned the Atomics Aqutics split fin, was larger and felt more like a normal fin compared to the other split fins.
Anyone tried these ?

This type of split fins may become more widely accepted because people that are used to normal fins complain that split fins feel like they have nothing on their feet. I remember lending the fins to a few of my friends and they complained "you don't go anywhere" and I struggled to keep up with them ?!
Because of the lesser resistance it doesn't feel like you are going fast.

As for freediving I don't think they are suitable until they make a large/ stiff enough version to be able to get off the bottom at depth.

I remember I onced ducked dive using the bio fins to retrieve a weight belt from 14m, thought I would die ?!

Cheers,
Wal

Oh yeh, I remember talking to an U/W hockey guy and he said heaps of them are starting to use the Oceanic V-6 split fins. They are a small full foot fin that are apparently very fast.

I think that split fin technology may still show some promise for freediving, but as yet they have not designed a fin for freedivers in mind. (Either make a very big/stiff split fin or perhaps have a sort of split fin atached at the end of a normal freedive fin ?)

It would be very hard to know if such a fin was more efficient then a carbon fibre long fin. I think freedive fins were years ahead in efficiency compared to scuba fins.

P.S. Notice how the Mares volo pivots in the middle, remind you of anything ?

I think glass fibre bi-fins from the finswimming world would be great for the scuba market. They are much better than plastic ones, and they wont break as easily as carbon fibre fins. I would however never change any fin in the world for my carbon monofin :) It beats them all..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT