• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Free Diving and Martial Arts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Do Freedivers Practice Martial Arts ?

• No Martial Arts

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Judo

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Ju-Jitsu

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Aikido

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Karate (all styles)

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Kendo

• Iaido

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Hisardut

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fencing

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Tai-Chi

• Kung-Fu

• Total voters
I am a Tae Kwon Do student, this art was not mentioned in the poll. Very good for leg strength! Since I have become interested in freediving, the breathing exercises and meditation I do have been helpful in my MA.

Thanks,
Lee

Some of the most realistic fight scenes I have seen in years are in the movie "The Bourne Identity". Whoever did the choreography for that movie really knew what they were doing.
Jim

Reactions: FreeFloat
mia

thanks for the good karma, somehow I thought "grey" wasn't a "good" one, but I guess I was wrong :duh

I live in West Los Angeles and I am not very familiar with freediving in San Diego area (I am relatively "new" to freediving myself and just started to explore local freediving spots).

However I found a few threads that might be of help to you:

http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50939

http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50116

Hope this will be of help.

wishing you safe diving and a great trip !

hi

the only litle relation the Karate has with freediving that I remember came the example of the China swimming trainer that day when she was teaching me how to do the frog kick- and she said that there is a karate kick that look similar to the way we do for frog kick when doing dinamic not fins--and she was ok - because I knew that Karate kick when I practiced karate 2 a long a go- and it helped me I least to get the idea of how to do the frog kick .
____

a short history:

like a few year a go my cuban friend and the friend of the one that invented the Karate 2 from japon invite me to his Karate school- and I when there to see him -- and when he invited me to the do some demostration" and I said forget it my friend I only bow my head to the only and Real God-- that day my friend taugth me something that I didn't know before I was a Cristian and that I used to do when I practicing Karate in cuba since I was a kid--

but thank God I don't do this anymore because I know the meaning of all this

and to finished this:

the fisical part of Karate if fine- you do a lot of streaching and others excercices ect that can be good for you body and this is natural

but not the espiritual part as meditation and the kind of salutation they do that doesn't help us-

My friend has beeing so influenced with this that he became a monk and when to china to learn the lenguaje -evertime as see him I give him a hug and I say Im still praying for you and I know that one day you will know the peace that are you really looking to and is in Jesus-

Last edited:
Neshamah (nice name)

Bowing in the dojo as well as sitting in seiza are forms of respect which one shows to the sensei, the founder of the martial art, and the benevolent learning environment of the dojo.

There is no implied tribute paid to any supernatural being, it is a mere act of respect and acceptance to those willing to teach you, showing that you are leaving your ego off the mat.

I understand your apprehension about being indoctrinated into another belief, but martial arts dont offer religious dogma, only qualify as philosophies at best.

About your friend all I can say is im a bit envious. I know that I will pass away without probably seeing places like China, Australia, Brazil. There is much beauty in the world, and in different ideas, and different people. One should experience as much as possible while one can. There is true purpose and freedom in that.

Neshamah,
just like Baur says, the bow - "rei" in most martial arts has nothing to do with praying, or worshipping a god. It's just a sign of respect for the school ,teacher and the knowledge that is taught. However I do know a bit about what it is you are talking about and I understand re. "not bowing your head".

Baur, thanks for a clear explanation of the "rei". I often dream about traveling to China and learning Tai-Chi from the people who actually invented it. Who knows, perhaps one day I"ll do it.

That black and white gives it the final touch Neshamah.

It look like a martial arts relic (Bruce lee's master)

Internal school

Hi,

For freedivers I urge to pursue the internal school of martial arts (IMA). They are Tai Chi, Bagua, Hsing-Yi and LiuHe BaFa

A good link that explains the essence of Taichi is:

http://www.stevehiggins.ca/

A link for Bagua:

http://www.kungfu.org/messagegm14.shtml

A link for Hsing-Yi:

http://www.emptyflower.com/

Finally for Liu He Ba Fa:

http://www.shouyuliang.com/classes/liuhe.shtml

I also give a link for those of you who are interested in learning from the most powerful Western sifu in the Chinese IMA (B.K. Frantzis):

http://www.energyarts.com/

So my advice for you athletes who should observe a lifestyle as much relaxed as possible is undertaking internal arts. External arts at the beginning and intermediate stages are no good for freedivers because they emphasise too much in the external force (wai chi), therefore leading to a less relaxed state compared to the internal ones.

However pursuing IMA requires a training of a minimum of 10 years before seeing any noticeable results due to the slow development of chi, which explains why so many people quit after a period of time. Also physical training is very demanding since many of these arts are rooted to earth (you must do a lot of lower body work, virtually fixing up those rusty western knees, ankles and tendons in the lower part of the legs)

Finally, internal training will develop chi (life force), boost your energy levels, increase your longevity way above average normal people, maintain the normal flow of chi in channels and meridians, increase your immunity against disease, protect you against the nocive forces of the external environment (i.e. air pollution, radiation, electromagnetic pollution from electrical appliances, computers and cell phones) creating a bubble of energy around you (chi shield). Finally this arts will develop your spiritual awareness to the spiritual force of Cosmos (Tao).

As they are inevitably time consuming which inevitably will lead to take all your time and say goodbye to freediving, I suggest to train the core of this arts: Qigong (Chi Gung). You'll get all the benefits of the arts except the fighting skills.

Internal arts also involve following the strict Taoist lifestyle (Qigong-Chi Gung, diet and regulated sex). Qigong also demands that discipline though.

Examples of the power of the IMA:

Read this testimonial

http://www.chinafrominside.com/ma/bagua/machuanxu.html

http://www.buqi.net/gb/index.html (click on empty force article)

All the best with your choice anyway.

Reactions: FreeFloat
Internal arts also involve following the strict Taoist lifestyle (Qigong-Chi Gung, diet and regulated sex).

Gee that doesn't sound like much fun :D

If you are including "IMA" then someone has left out the most important one for freediving. Although not really a martial art - Yoga has had more influence on freediving then anything that has been listed. Go to a competition and you will see almost everybody doing stretches and breathing exercises which have all come from Yoga, although some have now been modified. Talk to Martin or Herbert, they would not be diving a 100m+ without some of the Yoga excercises they do. Most freedivers have passed these things on so not everyone realises it actually comes from Yoga.

Cheers,
Wal

hi

That black and white gives it the final touch !

thank you - that is what we have by that time -black and white pictures- long a long a go-

bruce lee? jajaj No tanto

well although I was -Cinta blanca- I knew much of the black cinta kata- My father was black cinta in judo too -

_________

Originally posted by Walrus
Gee that doesn't sound like much fun :D

If you are including "IMA" then someone has left out the most important one for freediving. Although not really a martial art - Yoga has had more influence on freediving then anything that has been listed. Go to a competition and you will see almost everybody doing stretches and breathing exercises which have all come from Yoga, although some have now been modified. Talk to Martin or Herbert, they would not be diving a 100m+ without some of the Yoga excercises they do. Most freedivers have passed these things on so not everyone realises it actually comes from Yoga.

Cheers,
Wal

No, it's not fun. I guess you live like a monk. Freedivers are monks of the ocean anyway, aren't they :eek:

Walrus, I guess you're referring to Pranayama. Qigong and Pranayama Yoga is in essence the same stuff. It's a blend of meditation and breathing techniques while sitting (Yoga) and standing (Qigong).

IMA (especially Tai Chi) were considered by Taoists as moving meditation which I recommend to freedivers because of the reasons I already explained. I summarise them here again:

When you practise Taichi you will:

1. Increase your longevity

2. Develop internal energy (chi)

2. Increase immunity to disease

3. Increase flexibility and suppleness

4. Improve your breathing capacity(same as Pranayama)

4. Help you to develop spiritual awareness with the Ultimate Supreme (Tao/God in Christian religion, etc.)

Qigong will give you the same benefits but no fighting skill.

However, you can choose either of them and you'll end up in Rome as well.

Sorry for all this rambling.

Actually I was referring to the stretches more then the breathing. The Pranayama is just the breathing right ?
There are various stretches for ribcage, shoulder, spine and even for the lung diaphragm that freedivers are using. The lung stretches are one of the more important ones to reduce your Residual volume allowing for equalizing at greater depth.

I don't know anything about Qigong but I don't think that Tai-chi has those sort of stretches.

Cheers,
Wal

Neshamah,
awesome pictures, looks like great memories too.

Gerard,
"Internal" Martial arts are amazing.
I only wish I started with Tai-Chi (Chien Style) first, instead of a hard "full contact" style I have practiced most of my life. Good thing it is never to late to learn something new.

Tai-Chi to a "hard" martial art style, is almost like, freediving to scuba diving.... LOL (I knew I can relate this whole thing back to freediving somehow).

Originally posted by Walrus
Actually I was referring to the stretches more then the breathing. The Pranayama is just the breathing right ?
There are various stretches for ribcage, shoulder, spine and even for the lung diaphragm that freedivers are using. The lung stretches are one of the more important ones to reduce your Residual volume allowing for equalizing at greater depth.

I don't know anything about Qigong but I don't think that Tai-chi has those sort of stretches.

Cheers,
Wal

Walrus,

Stretches in Taoist Chi Gung are part of the warm up and are kind of similar to Hatha Yoga stretches.

Chi Gung also stretches your spirit to the infinite (like Yoga) :eek:

Our replicant friend, Nexus didn't know that physical life is something we shouldn't really worry about. ;)

Originally posted by gerard
Walrus,

Stretches in Taoist Chi Gung are part of the warm up and are kind of similar to Hatha Yoga stretches.

Chi Gung also stretches your spirit to the infinite (like Yoga) :eek:

Our replicant friend, Nexus didn't know that physical life is something we shouldn't really worry about. ;)

In general one gets out of life what one REALLY asks for.
It wouldn't be unreasonable to postulate, that the one gets out of after-life what one REALLY asks for. (hope this makes sense) :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT