• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Free diving with DVT (deep vein thrombosis)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amitr

Jun 7, 2017
Hi,

I started free diving a year ago and finished stage A course. Since then I've been practicing and diving recreational.
3 month's ago i got diagnosed with DVT in my leg. Which is a blood cloth. I have been taking medications since which are blood thinners (apixaban).
The swelling is gone and i am back on a normal track doing sports as i did before. I did a ultrasound a week ago to check if i am clear. Unfortunately i still have it and i need to keep taking the medication.
My question is if its okay to do free dive training's up to 15 meters max constant weight.
I am aware i have to be careful with wounds and hits because of the blood thinners but i mainly want to know if there is risk involved because of the water pressure on the blood cloth.
Thanks.

The pressures you experiance on those kinds of dives simply passes through the tissue, no effect. However your dive reflex substantially changes blood flow to the extremities and rising c02 levels lead to transient high blood pressure. Those things might affect the clot. Something you need to get advice from a knowledgable (hard to find) Doc.

Reactions: SubSub
What cdavis said. Way to complex of a question to get a proper answer to via a forum. You need to see a doc that can check your stats and journals to get correct information on this.

Definitely get a professional medical opinion, go to your doctor and ask them to investigate for you. There are doctors/surgeons, especially in the military that investigate the effects of pressure and diving so the answer will be out there for sure. Don't take any advice on this issue from anyone that isn't a properly qualified doctor. Good luck with it (y)

Reactions: SubSub
I had DVT incidents in 1985 and 1990. Since 1990 I've been on warfarin without incident. My problem is genetic (Protein C deficiency). With that combination I have never been told by a doctor to stay out of the water. One doc was the doc for our dive physicals when I was diving a lot for work. Two others were doctors who my wife worked for. All knew about my diving and none had any problem with either scuba or freediving.
That said, you are on a different drug and may well have a different cause for the DVT. When you talk to a doc, make sure they have direct knowledge of both the and the drug you are taking, and are not simply saying "no" to cover their asses from liability.

I had DVT incidents in 1985 and 1990. Since 1990 I've been on warfarin without incident. My problem is genetic (Protein C deficiency). With that combination I have never been told by a doctor to stay out of the water. One doc was the doc for our dive physicals when I was diving a lot for work. Two others were doctors who my wife worked for. All knew about my diving and none had any problem with either scuba or freediving.
That said, you are on a different drug and may well have a different cause for the DVT. When you talk to a doc, make sure they have direct knowledge of both the and the drug you are taking, and are not simply saying "no" to cover their asses from liability.

Thank you all for your reply's.
Hteas, but did you dive when having the cloth in your leg? or was it after the cloth and only during taking warfarin to prevent another cloth to appear. Thanks.

I waited until I felt better, about 3 months. The clot was definitely gone by then

I waited until I felt better, about 3 months. The clot was definitely gone by then

Aha okay, after 3 month's i definitely feel better. I run, work out and do things normally. But with the last ultrasound check the cloth is still there. So i am wandering more about the effects on the cloth itself while diving and not about the medication. The doctor says she preferrers me not to dive, but i have a feeling its indeed more to cover herself from liability as you said.

Most docs, even those who freedive, know little or nothing about freediving physiology. For curiosity, I've discussed the subject with numerous docs. The level of ignorance is depressing. You won't have anything you can rely on until you find a doc who specializes in diving medicine, and even he(she) may know little about freediving.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT