• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedive-A-Palooza 2013

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will you be attending this years Palooza?

• No - I'm scared of Phil Collins

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whopperhead

Wisconsin Speargun Hunter
Mar 2, 2007
When: July 26 - 28
Where: Lake Wazee, Black River Falls WI
Who: All those interested in Freediving/Spearfishing and Family

Freediving (or free-diving) is a form of underwater diving that does not involve the use of scuba gear or other external breathing devices, but rather relies on a diver's ability to hold his or her breath until resurfacing. Examples include breath-hold spear fishing, freedive photography, recreational breath-hold diving, apnea competitions, and to some degree, snorkeling. The activity that garners the most public attention is the extreme sport of competitive apnea in which competitors attempt to attain great depths, times, or distances on a single breath.

This is a gathering of Freedivers and those like minded. It is a good time of Diving, eating, socializing and meeting new people interested in the sport.

I will update this as we go, but we will more than likely have a Level 1 Freediving Class offered by F.I.I. A lot of us stay at the Campgrounds right next to the lake, but there are hotel accommodation offered nearby. At the Lake there is a beach, hiking/biking trails, disc golf for those not interested in getting in the water, or need a break from diving. It's a great opportunity to meet people, try out gear, maybe take a class, learn other techniques and most times very entertaining.

If my calculations are correct - this is the 10th year Freedive-A-Palooza has been going on.

Lake Wazee is the Deepest lake in Wisconsin at 355 ft deep. It is fairly clear year round, offers lots of fish to see. I wouldn't necessarily say this is a good spearing lake, as most panfish are small. There are some SUCKER fish that can be shot or carp.

Hello Scott,

Looking forward to Palooza 2013! I just completed Performance Freedivings freediver class in Miami, FL this last week, what an awesome experience! I feel I have a solid foundation to start spearfishing now. I'm really interested in getting wet before Palooza 2013 and meeting some of the enthusiast in the Wisconsin area. Hope to hear from you soon.

Charlie Brown
http://www.facebook.com/charliebrownwindsurfing

Your name is really Charlie Brown? I plan on posting the days I plan on spearfishing this spring and summer.

If anyone is interested or knows someone who will want to take the class, have them sign up. It's only $100 to secure your spot. Only 8 spots available and I know some of those are already taken. If you do sign up, make sure you tell them I sent you.

I have campsite 11 reserved from Thursday through Monday. If anyone else wants to reserve sites 9 (1st choice) or 8 or 10 that would be cool. then we would basically own that end of the campground. we can have up to 6 tents per site, but even though I have the site reserved and paid for if anyone else puts their tent up on 11, they have to pay for each night they are there. it's like double dipping in my opinion. So, I figure- shoot, we might as well take all the sites at that end of the campground if we have to pay per tent regardless,

I know not a lot of people don't check this site as much for some reason. but based off Facebook, we should have at least 18 divers plus spectators/friends/family. And that's just as of Today. I'm sure a few more will be coming as we get closer to the day.

Freedive-Palooza can still go on. I lost my job (8 years as Sheriff Deputy) - I am taking it pretty hard and need some time to myself and try to figure out what the hell I'm suppose to do now. If I can pull it off I will attend, but as of right now. I can't see myself there if I can't support my family.

In rebuttal to the above post......... I am planning on fully attending the Palooza!!! I still don't have a job, but a lot of prospects. So, If I am not working, I will be there. I will be there for sure, just if I am working I will have to fly up there after work. I will be there. Campsite 11 is reserved for us. 1st 6 tents can have access to it. save me one spot. every Tent needs to pay for camping though. even though I already paid for the site, they double dip and make every tent pay. I know a few other divers have reserved some other sites too. Site 11 will be our meeting spot and Party area. Remember Saturday night, we are going to do a HARLEM SHAKE video for those who want to participate. I will be more than likely be recruiting from around the lake also. It'll be fun!

Looks like I will be arriving around 5pm-ish. I do have to work in the morning till about 2pm. Then I will cruise up to Black River Falls. Hope to see you ALL there!!

This years Palooza was different. We still had a good time, but none of the regulars showed up. I met a LOT of new divers!! We really explored more of the lake than we usually do, shot some fish, worked on technique, shared gear, froze our butts off, ate lots of good food. Didn't drink TOO much, but still had a good time. We had I think 17 divers show up throughout the course of the weekend. I really enjoyed meeting some of the new people and we are going to actually try to go back to Wazee to try to do line dives on a more regular basis. It will keep us in shape for line diving more so than just doing it once a year.

Yeah, the Palooza would of been better if it weren't 46 degrees out and raining. I swear I saw flurries on Saturday Night. But it was fun and I'm very thankful to everyone who showed up. I appreciate it!

Next years will be around the same time as usual. I am going to be looking at getting a Level 1 class offered in the spring and then trying to get a Level 2 happening during the Palooza. SO SAVE YOUR MONEY NOW!!!

Here is a link to MOST of the pics:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151562244989607.1073741827.27736524606&type=1

I will attempt to post some here as well, but I am not posting all 80+

Attachments

• 531773_10153076148040005_1855454607_n.jpg
    531773_10153076148040005_1855454607_n.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 557874_10153072906535005_1324943424_n.jpg
    557874_10153072906535005_1324943424_n.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 248
  • uvs130729-059.JPG
    uvs130729-059.JPG
    582.7 KB · Views: 264
  • uvs130729-027.jpg
    uvs130729-027.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 258
  • uvs130729-066.jpg
    uvs130729-066.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 257
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT