• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedive Courses/Clinics

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

samdive

Mermaid, Musician and Marketer
Nov 12, 2002
Has anyone done a freedive course or clinic and have an opinion to share? I am interested in how useful official training really is and whether or not its worth the cash.
Specifically - has anyone done an Apnea Academy course with Pelizarri? there is one scheduled for this winter and I am tempted....

let say a course would cost minimum £300, or up to £600 with flights etc etc. that amount of money would get you into the NDC between 50-100 times... £6 entry, right?

....i know what i would do with the money! :)

...but it depends what your aims are i suppose.

The Pelizzari course has definently improved my freediving. It's focused around a lot of theory which you put into practice in the water. You learn swimming techniques, breathing techniques, relaxation and meditation. I can only recommend taking it, also because the fee for it is not greedy and because Umberto is a damn good teacher. The only thing is that there's a long way to Sardinia and that the city it takes place in can be a little pricy. (It's a great place to bring your girlfriend...)

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

thanks Chris - he is doing one in Sharm El Sheikh in december - lot cheaper to stay in than Sardinia!

now i need to count my pennies and decide if its worth it

probably won't take my girlfriend (!) but might take Deepest Bear along for the ride..

Sam

I can't comment on Umberto's course, though I'd love to take it and have already been planting the seed in my wife's head- "you'd love to go to Italy";) .

I can highly recommend Kirk's clinic. I learned more in the one week of freediving with him, and others on this list, than I did in any course I had taken prior, and that includes my instructor and trimix classes!

My instructor and tec-diving course were more like "hoops" to jump through rather than informational. Kirk’s clinic increased all of my numbers and made me aware of the dangers of diving solo, which I was really quite naive about until I got to witness a couple of sambas in the water. I also learned a bunch of other things that I had never heard of before- like packing.

Seeing as how you get to train with some top notch divers already, and have been to a few comp's, I am not sure that you would get quite as much out of it as I did at the time- since I was pretty much the only free diver in these parts and the internet wasn't around when I first started. Still, I bet you would always gain something just by being in the water with someone like Umberto. In addition, having someone watch you, and correct your form, while you dive is always a big help. This is especially true if they can video it as well.

Jon

Hi sam

I am also thinking about attending Umberto's Sharm El Sheik clinic in December, I mailed Steffania Pelizzari to check on some details, and at the moment it depends on whether or not I can find the cash to go.

Would love to for a few reasons, one, I am new to freediving in comparison to many on this list, and would benifit big time....two...to dive in the Red sea at Sharm I believe is awesome...and 3, probably the most relevant, I have heard that Umberto is a unique person to meet and learn from.

I do'nt know if you have met him, but a friend of mine has met him briefly, and compared him to the 'Ayrton Senna' of freediving. They say he is a very humble and extraordinarily talented person whom you will leave after a course...and I quote.." knowing that you've met, and learnt from... someone very special."

Regards

Jeff

Go already....

I've talked in the past about being "in the presence of greatness".
I don't mean it as an idolisation or worship or humbling one's self.
I mean that there are people who have done things better than you, or know something you dont. They have experiences you dont. I am a big self-starter and learner, but have come away from some meetings, training, or talking with others who are much better than me at some things. Every time my own abilities were improved or my outlook was uplifted in some way.
I consider myself a knowledgeable freediver, but wouldn't hesitate to take a course from Umberto or anyone else that I respected. Kirk taught me a few things about safety and immersed me in some experiences that helped me a lot, and I became a better diver as a result. Same with Eric F, Laminar, Freediver 48 and many others.
So go! You will benefit from it I'm sure.
And be sure and tell us all about it.
Cheers,
Erik Y

Ditto on Jons reply. Kirk's clinic was great for my diving, but what suprised me the most was how Kirk's intense focus on safety was built into the diving in a way that was natural and easy, easier than diving any other way. For the very advanced diver there is a special course you might be interested in.

Thanks guys! I would love to Kirk's clinic but we didn't get the numbers to get him over to the UK and I definitely can't afford Miami/Hawaii/Vancouver. Used to live in the Red Sea and got a few contacts so Sharm would be cheaper....

trying to blag some sponsorship towards it now.. will let you know

Sam

Reactions: Erik
I did the week course with Pelo in July in Sardegna, and afterwards decided to stay here in Santa Teresa for longer, to train with him. I also went on a week long boat trip round the islands with him and Davide Carrera. If you can ever get a chance to do a course with either of these truly generous people then jump on it. loro sono i più simpatico uomi del mare

Reactions: Erik
Does anyone know of any freediving courses being offered in NC.
I'm an experienced spearfisherman who would like to improve his technical abilities as well as breathhold. Any suggestion would be helpful.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT