• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freedive fins?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hapakid808

Mar 20, 2002
Ive been using the omer tuna black fins for spearfishing and freediving for a year or two now and to tell the truth i really dont like them. They seem a bit too stiff and i get tires somewhat easily. The foot pocket isnt very comfortable and cramps up my foot a lot and im looking on selling mine and getting some new fins more suitable for me. Does anyone have any recomendations on long fins?

Heya

Heya,

I've been diving with OMER Millenium Competitions for over a year now, and if you don't wan't to spend too much money, I might be able to offer a few cheaper alternatives...

I agree the foot pocket uses hard rubber that can hurt your feet, but what I did was went out and bought a pair of 1mm neoprene socks to wear. The set I got were for surfing (because they were the cheapest I could find - wholesale) but I know a lot of diving companies make them. Just make sure your foot still fits in the pocket :D

If your finding the blades too hard to work with, then you may have bought too stiff a blade for the type of diving you're doing. My blades a fairly stiff, because when I get over my ear problems, I'll be doing a lot of deep diving. I'm at the stage however where I can spend a fair few hours (5 or so) in the water with them on before I notice it. So, returning to my point :D, you can actually buy new blades for the fins that are a lot softer. This is a lot cheaper than buying a new fin, and it has the added benefit that if you ever decide to branch into deeper diving, you have the stiffer fin (You need a stiffer fin in deeper water).

Hope this helps, and good luck with the diving :)

Loopy

hey Hapa kid - let me know if you feel like getting rid of those blades/fins. looking for a pair in 43-45.

Willer

Stiffer blades for deeper water? why so?
I thought it depended on the energy and speed of the stroke.

it does to a degree, but when you're deep and overcoming a neg. weight, the extra stiffness will give you the power to get back to the surface. much harger with a 'noodle" fin.

Willer

Fins

Argh, beat me to it :p

Hey Michael... did you hear the latest? A fish swam into a concrete wall and said "Dam" :D

Loopy

Reactions: Shadowkiller
:D:D
HeHe, I got a couple of those in hebrew, but no crowed here...
Ofcourse it's funnier when you're drunk.:friday

O, and 10x Willer, should've figured it out myself.

no worries - I figured it out myself too, but only when I was laying on the sand @ 100ft and wondering why I wasn't getting any power up....

I still use an old set of Gara fins (blue) for shallow stuff - they're very soft and flexable - easy to surface swim with.

Willer

Amphibious:
but only when I was laying on the sand @ 100ft and wondering why I wasn't getting any power up....

Sounds like a pleasnt expirience I should try.:hmm

Well, I'm using my scuba fins (with booties) - Mares Plana Avanti Quattro (Hot pink)(Hey! It was half price! don't look at me like that!)(any good painting advise? :) )

I don't think I saw any freediving fins near me that cost less than 400US$. :(

I used my Idea3 fins up untill 6months ago. worked fine for me - was able to get to 120ft a few times - just a touch and go though.

try the deeperblue store - good deal on some intro fins.

Willer

Reactions: loopy
it's a cressi thing. :D

i still love the gara's. i'm using the 2000ld's but have modified my hd's by taking about 5 1/2 inches off the top rubber rail on both edges. this alleviates some of the stiffness that kills the anterior part of your shins and keeps the power in the fins for the back swing of your stroke. i've learned to dolphin kick to the surface which increases speed and decreases O2 consumption. and, for dolphin kicking, it's not the forward kick that gives you the power but the back part of the kick. :cool: also, the mod of the hd's makes them bareable to swim on the surface w/. :t

can't beat the price on the garas at diveinn. :hmm

anderson
..._[:]p

Reactions: DeepThought
andrsn:
i've learned to dolphin kick to the surface which increases speed and decreases O2 consumption. and, for dolphin kicking, it's not the forward kick that gives you the power but the back part of the kick.
Hey, I also use dolphin kick to move up, and on the bottom, depends on my destination, but I didn't know why I prefered it.
Maybe I'm a natural. :cool:
Though I didn't notice what move gives the best power...

And about buying a freediving pair, I think it's inevitable, but it would be smart of me to delay that purchase, since I won't be using them soon, I'm leaving to Thailand & Burma in 1 month, and I'm not planning on taking my most precious possesion :D in my backpack for a few months before getting it wet.
So next summer, or maybe when I'll be in the eastern waters, but certainly not now.

Originally posted by DeepThought

Hey, I also use dolphin kick to move up, and on the bottom, depends on my destination, but I didn't know why I prefered it.
Maybe I'm a natural. :cool:
Though I didn't notice what move gives the best power...

i use it on the bottom, too, but only when i'm not carrying a gun. anyways, next time you're in the water, try to emphasize this one part of the movement... w/ your hands out in front of you, sweep them upwards while moving your fins upwards as well. think of pulling yourself forward, then glide up and over (kinda like a rollercoaster) and down into the downward movement. i glide quite a bit, but can cover sooooooo much distance w/o getting fatigued w/ O2 deprivation. :cool:

later,
anderson

I was looking at some picasso fins cuz of the supposedly softer foot pockets that sustain overall fin stiffness. Im thinking that would solve my foot cramp issues.

what do ya think?

:confused:
Actually, I don't really understand your description....
Do you use your hands for the undulation? for hydrodynamics or for propulltion?

Waaas hapa-nin?

The Picasso's are a tad softer, not as much as Cressi's though. It's pretty much what you can fit into and learn with. Get the dive shop there to let you try a few pairs out in the pool or with the deal that whatever works for an afternoon at the beach you'll buy. Give the new OMER Millenium footpockets a shot- the stiffer side rails and the different makeup of the pocket itself makes them a bunch more comfy.

sven

Last edited:
Love the OMER Millenium Competitions ......

Been using Picasso Carbon's for a couple of years, which are pretty stiff. The blades cracked whilst training in Kona, then I tried the Omer carbon's. Very soft. I lost a lot of speed with them.
Most people on the team did very well with them but I was used to a stiffer fin.

Borrowed a team member's Millenium Competitions, and then did 5 dives in the 56->61m range, and used them in the Comp.

So I upgraded from carbon to plastic :duh

Not as good as the little rubber hockey fins though, way to go Martin !

Cheers,
Walter.

the only problem is that i dont have any shops around me on the mainland that carry freedive fins besides some cressi that i remember seeng at sport chalet :confused: Im not sure what exactly to do when i cant try on anything and if i did mail order them, id be paying a grip for shipping expence. Any suggestions?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT