• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freedive ireland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fcallagy

Feb 26, 2005
Hi to all, Just a note regarding freediving in Ireland. I see from prvious threads there are a few in Ireland . I,m based in Sligo North west just wondering has anyone heard of an Irish freediving club or plans to set up one Irish AIDa affiliation etc. If not maybe its time we did. Involved with a local Scuba club here but not aware of anyone else freediving. Any thoughts ideas or info appreciated.
Regards Feargus.

Reactions: Almostafish
Hi Feargus
Setting up a freedive club in Ireland sounds like a great idea. What help would you like? I can send you all the BFA pool safety and open water safety guidelines that allow you to become BFA and then AIDA affiliated. You will need an AIDA instructor to oversee your group and obiously all the correct ( in date! ) o2 kit, firstaid kit and First aid training. For an open water club the same thing applies but you also need a VHF, lines, floats and risk assesment on where you are and a rescue plan. There are a few other things but they depend on how deep etc! I would like to see good club in Ireland as you have some good water and some good fish!

If you want any more info look at the BFA www.britishfreediving.org or send me a PM.

Be safe and never dive alone

B

BFA Club officer.

AFAIK there is a Club in Uni. Limerick.
I can't remember exactly who was involved but I know there is also some guys in DCU? too .
worth a call to the relevant bodies, maybe through a bubble blowers club or something?

Thanks for the replies guys and if you can send on the documents it would be appreciated almostafish. I can get access to all the safety kit via a sub aqaa club at present. I,m unsure who I have to affiliate to here in Ireland or do we just set up via Aida or BFA. I,m already a member of bfa via deep tank diver course. But will probably start up as a contact and try to recruit more here at a local level first. Will probably set up as a pool club until I get further training for open water. Incidently to get to a 1 star trainer what do you think would be the next best step I think the deep tank is roughly equivelent to a 2 star aida diver but may be wrong. Any advice appreciated

Hi Fergus,
I think that patrick@mcdonald.org (hes in ucdsac) is still the AIDA rep in Ireland-check the AIDA website to confirm.
I'm in Dublin as is Graham (pint o' the guiness), we're also in ucdsac and we'll probably be heading out more regularly as the weather gets better and the exams finish!
All The Best,
Pat McDonald (not the one above, the OTHER one!) :duh

cheers Pat,
Tried to e-mail that Pat first but no replyso far maybe busy with exams. I didnt want to stand on anyones toes if their is something already in progress. Give us a shout if your heading North west. Usually hit hit Achill Island a few times in the summer and Mullaghmore most Sundays on Scuba.
Regards Feargus.

Hi Feargus

to get up to AIDA * Instructor, you need to do AIDA ** and *** courses first - you can skip the ** theory as you have covered that on the deep tank course.

let me know if you need more info

Sam

Thanks sam,
Finding it hard to train here with anyone, you mentioned on the course that you may be doing a course at some of the colleges here at some stage. If its open to Joe public please give us a shout. would love to get back to SETT or across the water to train but time aint gonna allow it at present.
Cheers

Heya fellas,
well, the dive season has kicked off & myself & Pat (Seamunki) are trying to get out to Sandycove every weekend - incl. 10:30 this Saturday...

If we can get 4 interested people, Sam K will come over & train us!!!!
Lectures, pool, sea & pints - happy days.

In terms of wetsuits, I received & used my new MTM 5mm Elios freediving suit last week, & I can't speak more highly about the suit & about the quality of support which I've received from the Elios crew.
€250 for a 5mm suit & kanoka-reinforced high waist pants & 2mm vest + p & p - delivered in about a fortnight! - what more can I say!!!! :D

If there's anyone in Dublin interested in comin' out for a splash, or interested in the course, let me know!

All the best

GKS

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT