• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedive specific 'puter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

icarus pacific

Human-in-training
Nov 7, 2001
OK all you rubber-wearing reprobates, your karma carryin, contest holding, fish filleting, best friend of your sister needs your input. Whodda thunk?:confused:

I want a freediving oriented computer/watch that'll give me depth, water temp, times, and all that. Who's got the best unit (ouch!), how much and from where?
Raptor, Mosquito, Triceratops, Tounger :t , which is dakine? And I'll even buy it from Deeper Blue Emporium if they have the deal.

sven

Suunto Mosquito, or if you're wealthy, the Stinger or the new D3. The D3 is orange, so it might go with your suit ;)
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Sven,

I got the Mosquito, but would buy the D3 if it was available at the time I was buying. I will probably never use the bubble-blower options on my Mosquito. There are so many bells and whistles that if I don't use it for a couple of weeks, I gotta futz with the buttons until I remember or discover where to go by process of elimination.

Great watch though!:hmm rofl

Oh, and the orange D3 would be smashing with your new suit. You could store it in the pouch between dive sessions!

Have fun!

A

Last edited:
Hi Sven

I got given a Citizen Aqualand watch for my birthday. Hasn't been in the water yet, but it's got all the functions you mention and a 4-dive memory, plus IMO it's much more attractive than a dive computer, as it's got analogue timing (with two digital displays for depth, water temp etc) and it's got a very nice blue face (like this one :( ). Because it's less chunky and better looking than a computer it also makes a nice wristwatch. The only problem is you can't turn off the rapid ascent alarm, which means you have to have the whole alarm taken out, which means it can't wake you up in the morning.

Hope no one tells me I've been given a dud ...

Bryan

Originally posted by BryanW
Hi Sven

"got all the functions you mention and a 4-dive memory, "

Bryan

4 Dive memory? Does that mean you dive down 4 times and it's cooked? I think the Mosquito has 999 dive memory.

Fred

I'm totally hooked to my Suunto Stinger too :D
Couldn't wait for the Mosquito to be available when I bought it. Choices would now be tougher. I read the Mosquito has surface interval timer with seconds. Stinger only measures minutes.

The new D3 looks the same as the Mosquito, but has all the scuba stuff removed. If you'd never use it you'll save 50 euro's. Otherwise I would go for the Mosquito since it makes a nice scuba computer too for only a small difference in price.

that suunto D3 also comes in blue. diveinn... i mean db shop, will be carrying it soon. at least, that's what michelle told me.

i have the stinger. i like it because i can wear it as a dress watch as well. very nice lookin, i'd say.

Andrsn,

You would not look good in a dress unless you did something about that unsightly body hair.rofl

tu madre es wha?

I'm leaning towards the D3 as I'm primarily interested in for the freedive info, which is nmore for my amusement rather than an absolute need to know. I went to the major sites and haven't seen or read anytjing about it, and seem to recall the thread here saying that it wasn't out yet.

That said, anyone here know about Sporasub's Raptor? The sheer size of it makes me not thrilled as most of my time is in and around kelp and I pride myself on being smooooth.

sven

Re: tu madre es wha?

Originally posted by icarus pacific
I pride myself on being smooooth.
sven

you must go through alot of razors! no wonder you don't complain about having trouble sliding into your wetsuits! :D

for info on the d3, check out suunto's website (not US website) and click on "news". and... voila!

no problems sliding into anything.

I saw the site and the D3 after trying to figure out if I was offended, aroused or replulsed by the blonde at Freediver...:yack

Yeah that looks like the unit; wish it had a temp function so I could find my jewels at the end of a long day. "It was sooo cold that..." When are these things going to hit the shelves and whats the wallet hit? I'd ask them but nobody's home and seeing as there are loads of you sitting and surfing on your boss's nickle, well, what the heck, eh?

Eh?, I think I just lapsed into Canadian... :mute

sven

hey eh, um, what's wrong with canuk eh?

D3 is a scary $600 up here....

back to the string with knots for me.....

Willer

SAY WHAT?????!!!!!

6 bills??! You gotta be shittin me! I looked up a couple sites down here and the Raptor is under 3. Is that 600 Canuk bucks?

Jesus, for 6 bones I can get my rebreather fixed...

sven

10-4 thats $600cdn.

D3 at simplyscuba.com is $312us

Deeper Blue has the Raptor for $152us

and they have the uwatec digital depth gauge for $71us, but it's only in metric. has all the temp, dive time, depth, blah blah blah...

Willer

blah, blah ?

yeah, hilarious...:confused: A coffee function and auto-hummer'd be nice too.

Thing is kids, that the Svenster doesn't need another watch, the old Seiko and the uh, er, ahem...Rolex are fine so just the stuff that the Raptor appears to do would be fine, and at a pretty decent savings.

I see that there's a Raptor Pro model that has the downloadable feature, whereas the regular Raptor doesn't (?), and as that's a fun feature for me, is on my list of the desirables. I don't know what it is, but every freakin site I go to about Sporasub and Mares can't tell me squat about these things. So tell ya what, hook me up with the info and price/availability and I'll bestow some + karma on your bad self.

sven

Sven, I'm quite sure that the Raptor is identical to the Mares Apneist. I owned an Apneist, and it was a really good computer. The only 2 drawbacks are that it does not count down for you between dives, and it is a bit bulky....you will be pulling kelp out of it for sure. Otherwise, it works very well. It logs 99 dives, gives you a Temp, Time, Date, Depth, Audible preset alarms for time and depth, is Metric and 'Merican, shows your deepest dive and longest time, and will play back your dive for you in 2 second intervals. That computer retailed for 699$ Canadian last year, so you get a deal at 152$ US. I don't think Mares is making the Apneist anymore, but I do know that them and Sporasub share a lot of toolings and gear.
But they don't come in orange.
;)
Cheers amigo,
Erik Y.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT