• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freedive suits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mark gooding

Feb 16, 2005
im thinking of buying a freedive suit, though im not sure of the advantages/disadvantages of the different kinds, like the smooth outer or nylon outer surface, also what thickness is best for freediving uk waters, any advice would be appreciated. cheers

Mark,

There has been a LOT written about this subject on here. Use the "search" function on the tool bar and look up "wetsuits", or "freediving wetsuits".

Having said that, I have owned suits from Picasso, Esclapez, Cressi-sub and Elios. Elios suits are my, hands-down, favorites so far. You could start by emailing the company and having them walk you through the proccess of getting the right suit for you- as they have hundreds of options.

You will find that freediving suits are harder to put on, but much warmer and easier to move in, than a normal scuba wetsuit.

Jon

Last edited:
Mark,

I started late last year, and went for 5mm two piece as recommended by Elios, nylon outer and smooth cell interior - in the cheapest neoprene the cost was better than UK off the peg - 'bout £140 inc shipping. Since November I've dived with Saltfree in chepstow and been comfortable for 1~2 hours. Water was 6degC last meet 13th Feb.

E-mail Elios and they'll send you a custom measure chart and sort you out. You can also try Spearo down in cornwall.

David T

Hi Mark,
Is this the same Mark who did the course in bristol a couple of weeks back?
I've just ordered an Elios suit and it should be here in a couple of weeks.
For your info they recommended a 6mm suit, and I've gone for open cell inside/superelastic outside in Neoflex, which thet recommended if intending to go below 20metres. I didn't go for the supersmooth outside because its my first suit and I worry about ripping it! I also ordered a 2mm tshirt in the same material. My suit cost 180 euros, but would have been cheaper if I hadn't gone for the neoflex.
The t shirt cost 49 euros.
When you do the measurements, make sure you look at the 'realtime' video footage so you don't make mistakes.
See you over at Chepstow soon hopefully!
Jon

nice to see SaltFree keeping Elios in business.... to my reckoning our gang have now ordered at least 15 suits from them!!

and we are all really pleased with them so keep em coming

sam

Hi Sam,

I'm planning to move to London in under 6 months and am keen to give the Chepstow facility a nudge. As such i'll need to reassess my rubber requirements and was going to take the Elios route. The Salt Free website recommends 5mm, however I was thinking of getting 5mm jacket and 3mm trousers, as I will only be buying one suit at this stage and would like to wear it in other warmer places around Europe.

Do you think this would be warm enough? What are other UK divers' (and not just the skinny ones either, i'd like to hear from those that have a little "insulation" like myself :D ) opinions?

Cheers,
Ben

5mm minimum in Chepstow.... you may get away with 3mm trousers in the summer but would be debateable..... Oh and I have lots of natural insulation :D

I dived in a 5mm Elios in Chepstow in the cold months and was ok for around an hour.. it was mainly my hands getting cold.

Have fun Ben, they're a great bunch and I miss diving with them loads!!

Donna

Thanks Donna! I'll most likely go for the 5mm option initially and get a 3mm further down the track. It usually takes me a while to get cold around the core so 5mm should do the trick. I'm like you in that my hands get cold fairly quickly. With my Waterways mono I only wear a small half-sock which leaves most of my foot exposed, so my feet also get cold quickly. This is not such a problem though as the pocket is so tight I can only wear the mono for about 20 minutes anyway!!

In any case, i'm looking forward to diving the world, warm mediterranean and not so warm Chepstow, as long as it's all wet :)

Cheers,
Ben

Well be sure to PM me if you get over to Cyprus....

Have fun

Donna

Donna, I see you cahanged you location as "Cyprus". So i assume you are staying in here permanently. Right? Be sure to check the dive locations in Northern part of the island as well. I belive there are many great places to dive in north. If you like tutrtles you can see a lot here. In my last two dives i see few of them and couple of them was bigger than a meter i guess :cool: I grabbed one's shell while she was sleeping at the bottom. No doubt he surprised a lot when she saw me on her shell rofl

Murat said:
I grabbed one's shell while she was sleeping at the bottom. No doubt he surprised a lot when she saw me on her shell rofl
Not very conservation-minded of you Murat. I'm disappointed. :(

Murat, yes I'm now in Cyprus, living in Pyla, working in Larnaca. I have heard the dive sites in the North are excellent - once I get rid of this cold and ear infection etc that I have picked up, it would be nice if you could show me some of the sites?

And yes, you must leave those poor turtles alone.....

Donna

Donna, the pyla is a good place.No bills too rofl Thell me how did you get a hold of settlement there? I thougt its not quite possible for even locals :hmm

I will be happy to show you some good places..

Deep Thought, i think every animal would like to get some fondle :)

We're renting a house at the moment, maybe buy later in the year, not sure where yet though...

I'll PM you when I'm fighting fit again....

Murat said:
Deep Thought, i think every animal would like to get some fondle :)
So this is why you once said that you rather be celibate than quit hunting...:hmm

Dear Michael,

Like a said before, hunting is natural instinct to me. Its in my blood, but i only hunt for food which i consider this situation very natural thing since almost every living creature on earth gets their food from nature either by hunting or harvesting. But this does not makes me bloody killer, i own many pets in house since from childhood.

And as i always say, if you don't love animals you can not love humans too :)

eh... My last post was purely comical.
Though I still condone touching wildlife as a habbit - they usually don't enjoy it as much as you do.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT