• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freediver - accident of birth?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

samdive

Mermaid, Musician and Marketer
Nov 12, 2002
I was out diving with four mates yesterday. Somehow we got onto the subject of how we were born.

I was born by emergency C Section with loads of complications and deprived of oxygen at birth to the extent that they told my parents I would be brain damaged (and until I got my Masters I think my folks still believed that!)

3 of the other divers were ALL born with their umbilical cord around their neck - depriving them of oxygen.

The fourth did not know and rushed off to ask his mother...

is this a recurring theme amongst freedivers? have we discovered the missing link???

a wacky thought for christmas week...

Sam

Reactions: DeepThought
I was completely blue when I was born, dunno the exact details tho.

A little correction, I was not born with the umbilical cord around my neck, but I came out so fast that I was blue.. I was not born too early or anything, I just came out real fast..

Last edited:
umbilical cord round neck too!!!
Was told I was beyond the blue, but black!!!!!

maybe something in this?

Happy christmas all

I asked my mom and she just told me that I'm adopted! :waterwork

Nah, she said it was a normal birth.

Maybe this thread should be a poll (yes/no/I don't know)?

yep' matter fact , i was in trouble, i did'nt want go out ( was warm inside...)
after doct finally figure out i was a lazy boy , i decide c section, by the time i strangle my self and got tongue flap in, so.. was blue light green ( what mommy saw with c section drugs...) don't breathe for a minute or two ( not bad for first time , but did'nt much improve with 26 years.. i'm defenetly lazy boy) , it could be a link , as i beleive we meet people because there always a cause and effect... good or bad?

I too had the cord around the neck when born. Not sure about the color though, haven't heard the stories in decades. Wonder if I had a samba?

Interesting, you might be on to something....
I was also born by C section.

I think I've heard from my mom that I was too born with the cord arround my neck, maybe you're on to something! Why not make a poll about it?

Love, peace and water!

Carlos.

//edit:

I've checked with my mother, and apparently I was wrong. :rcard It was a normal birth :wave

But do contiou the search!

Love peace and water!

Carlos.

Last edited:
Thank you, guys & gals,

you make me feel far less embarassed about the idiocy I posted a few days back.

Very interesting, I also was born with the C section, and had to spend few days in the baby chamber afterwards. Lack of oxygen at the birth seems to be the case for the majority of freedivers

Jersey Jim said:
I too had the cord around the neck when born. Not sure about the color though, haven't heard the stories in decades. Wonder if I had a samba?

OMG LOLZ

rofl

I didnt have any complications at birth but when i was about 2 i was walking along the beach with my parents and thought id do some apnea walking . It took them a while to work out i was gone . They said id ventured out into about 6foot of water :head

Strangely enough, I was born with the cord wrapped around my mom's neck... go figure.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…