• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediver Hook-On and Forget System

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Biner ....

not a good idea in salt water - the pin that holds the gate to the main body is of a different composite than the body itself, as is the spring. This means corrosion ....

A bit costly for a once-off deal ... You wouldn't be able to inspect it thoroughly enough (at affordable rates anyway) to ensure that the gate won't come off / open by itself etc.

Damien

This thread has developed into a discussion of 2 different devices - a safety lanyard, and the Freediver Hook-On & Forget system. It's the FHOF system that uses an inflatable buoy - you can see a photo of this in the shop section at www.freediver.co.uk. The inflation cylinder contains compressed air, so that it can be easily pre-filled from a larger SCUBA tank.

SASpearo is right about using fancy carabiners for something that will partially corrode. My one cost 5 of my English pounds, and I have to accept that it won't be lasting me that long. You can get special carabiners that ice climbers use which are corrosion resistant, but these cost even more. Also, you need to be careful that your clip is AIDA approved if you are using the lanyard in an AIDA competition ( like the Sony Freediver Classic in Cyprus ) - I don't think the screw thread type are.

The lanyard debate............

Hi All,

I will be at the Dolphin training tank this weekend with Howard Jones of Freediver. He will be bringing along his lanyards for people to use and test. I will ask him all of the questions that people have asked on this subject and post my findings on on this thread next week.
My opinion so far is, he is the organiser of the competition so if his lanyards are the same as in the photo I posted on this site (which is exactly the same photo he has used on his site because I sent it to him) then that will pass inspection and will be accepted in his competition. My advice is - keep it simple.

Tune in next week :)

Simon Reid.

FHOF

if you want to see FHOF in action check the Sony comp link at www.freediver.co.uk and click the info link...
you`ll see Crispin saving my sorry ass..
full report in the mag soon

lanyards caught a few people by surprise
check site for latest:confused:

Reactions: buddha
Did you measure how many seconds will go until the freediver reaches the surface?

FHOF

i'm not sure but its really fast (if you fill the bag at the bottom), quicker than you would get to the surface finning at a normal speed.......

FHOF and lanyards

I'll confirm that the FHOF is quick, I was "rescued" at Dolphin too, my rescuer hitched a ride up with me and it was very fast. I'll check the D3 tonight for the exact time it took and post the result.

The Freediver lanyards came in few shapes and sizes, one even had a swivel and coiled cable. Dan of Freediver.co.uk gave me permission to post the pic on this site. I was informed that there will be a few Freediver lanyards in Cyprus so if yours ends up being too long/carabiner not big enough etc. then there will be some available.

Simon.

Attachments

• lanyard3.jpg
    lanyard3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 405
FHOF

I don't know if this will work but I am going to try and attach the MOV file as a ZIP file of the FHOF in action I filmed at the weekend. This ascent I think was from the top of the escape hatches at Dolphin so that would make it about -26m.

Simon.

FHOF

So the ZIP file failed, shame because it shows the off the FHOF very well. Anyway I found the FHOF ascent graph and unlike Altsaint, my rescuer didn't give me any "chill" time at all and the graph shows how fast it is to attach and activate. It looks like the -26m ascent took about 25 seconds but my rescuer cadged a lift all the way so on my own it would have been much quicker.

Attachments

• fhof.jpg
    fhof.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Lanyard ring

Skin,

Your post:-

Your photo does not include a 'lanyard Ring' with internal diameter of 26 mm etc..

How would you best incorporate this in your lanyard design ?

I have just competed in the French national freediver competition under AIDA rules. The ring is not incorporated in the lanyard design. We all wore our lanyards and they were fine. I didn't even notice I was wearing it to be honest. The "Ring" is a separate wrist strap with an incorporated steel ring so that the safety SCUBA divers can attach an air bag to you and inflate it to bring you up in case of blackout.

As Howard of Freediver has said each competitor will have to wear the Freediver wrist strap which has a ring to attach the FHOF. So the bottom line is just bring a lanyard and don't worry about the ring as this will be supplied.

Simon.

P.S. The French Nationals were superb we witnessed Stephane Mifsud do 8:02 static and a 182 dynamic, sort of humbles you!

To do your dynamic with Cold Play and Dire Straights piped to you via underwater speakers was excellent, we should have this in Cyprus.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT