• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving - aerobic or anaerobic?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
mcspud probably just meant that the original contributors may not be around now to answer the question. People drift in and out of forums over a number of years, isn't that right Poida? ;)

I've drifted in and out of many things over the years Benny:eek:

I just wanted someone to answer Floodpalms question, 'cos I'm stuffed if I know.

Poida

I believe this thread to be very relevant, as I am still puzzled by this. Some part of apnea is aerobic and then it turns into anaerobic activity. For both kind of activities I need different types of muscle fibers. I guess the anaerobic fast twitch fibers will be more useful towards the end of the dive. But how do I train to increase the amount of them, if that is possible after all?

I think my muscles are mostly aerobic slow twitch and if this really is a disadvantage in freediving, how do I change?

I believe this thread to be very relevant, as I am still puzzled by this. Some part of apnea is aerobic and then it turns into anaerobic activity. For both kind of activities I need different types of muscle fibers. I guess the anaerobic fast twitch fibers will be more useful towards the end of the dive. But how do I train to increase the amount of them, if that is possible after all?

I think my muscles are mostly aerobic slow twitch and if this really is a disadvantage in freediving, how do I change?

I am no expert but sadly I think it's pretty hard if not impossible to change the fibre type; I think there is some evidence it can be done between type IIa and type IIb but I wouldn't bet on converting type I to type II.

Again sadly I don't think you can generate new ones either but you can grow the ones you have bigger and improve recruitment.

Just enjoy freediving, I wouldn't worry about it too much :D

From what I understand the conversion is minimal at best, and it's why dark races run quicker. When I was playing hockey when my knees worked I was onto conversion exercises and they're gruelling just for the minimal work it does.

Reeftroll
Dark races run quicker because of, Lions.
If your Mum sends you to the next village to borrow a cup of sugar, you don't drag your butt, you run like the clappers.

Australians have a strong swimming team, Sharks.
When we go down to the beach, we dive in the water, swim like the clappers back to shore. Slow swimmers, Shark bait.

Canadians are good at curling, it's snowing outside, curling inside beats being eaten by a Polar Bear outside.

The Chinese are good at cooking with a wok. It's not an Olympic Event but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

What was this thread about?

I've had a few bottles of Cider.

Reactions: ReefTroll
Pingshui

Try and ignore my last post, if at all possible.

Sometimes genetics dictate what sports people can excell in. But do not dictate what sports people enjoy.

I am not an experienced free diver, a statement I have made previously, but still accused by "install own derogitory term" by people that state "I think I know every thing."

Sports training is never set in concrete. What sometimes is considered the best is often upset by someone who comes along and beats the champions using a different technique and training method.

I think the best way to improve, fitness wise, is to look at the champions in the sport. Do they have long slim aerobic muscles (long distance runners) or short bulky muscles (100 metre sprinters)

Most sports have a mixture of both.

Freedivers are complex people. Or should I say freediving is a complex sport, due to the ease of upsetting people in this forum.

I would have a stab and say that freediving is an aerobic sport, although having anaerobic muscle, due to bouyancy, is negated.

POida

poida, what's wrong with your last post? There is always some truth in everything, even if it this time only concerns the cider :friday

Well, anyway, my progress in freediving has stagnated for quite some time now and I am simply trying to find out what to change and what not. I already do way better in relaxation, which shows in my static. But I really have problems with dynamic. I always come up totally clean and contractions usually aren't the problem either. My legs and arms simply fail to perform after some time and I am not sure what to do against that, besides lactic training, I guess. :confused:

poida, what's wrong with your last post? There is always some truth in everything, even if it this time only concerns the cider :friday

Well, anyway, my progress in freediving has stagnated for quite some time now and I am simply trying to find out what to change and what not. I already do way better in relaxation, which shows in my static. But I really have problems with dynamic. I always come up totally clean and contractions usually aren't the problem either. My legs and arms simply fail to perform after some time and I am not sure what to do against that, besides lactic training, I guess. :confused:

Lactic training I would guess is the first thing to try. But maybe you can also try changing your style a bit to see if it helps? Eg going slower/faster, more/less glide etc.

I'll will get into lactic training as I assume this will be most effective right now. I already tried different speeds and I just hate going slowly. Feels like I am getting nowhere...

I know UWR is a good CO2 training, but is it good for lactic as well? Would it work if I started sprinting more?

Maybe try something like 25m apnea sprint, turn underwater and right away surface monofinning (training fins) sprint on your back for 25m. Then take a few breaths to recover and repeat the cycle. In a few cycles your muscles should be screaming.

You can try other things like pain walks but personally they don't work that well for me. I tried apnea squats once and they worked better. Be a bit careful with dry work like that.

Sometimes genetics dictate what sports people can excell in. But do not dictate what sports people enjoy.

Very true. In regards to my (non-racist) racial comment on running as an example, the white boys are only points of a second off at times.

The differences are there, they are visible, but they are at times minute.

Floodpalm, I was going to answer your question but there may be some Japanese people on this forum who might take offence.

(although admittedly some Jedi do struggle with surface protocol)

Yoda.jpg

(image courtesy of NoTanx - http://www.notanx.com/node/79)

Last edited:
nobody should take offence this sort of thing. Each race has certain abilitys that may differ from other races abilitys. This doesnt make one better than the other.

in general what race would consider most suited for freediving?
Bajao, or to be acurate they call themselves Davao Sama
but it's disappointing that none of them shined so far even tho they have genetically larger spleens compared to most of humans
i think the problem is mainly social, countries like Indonesia and Philippines doesn't seems interested in investing in those sport nor these populations
but freediving for them is part of living, spearfishing, and diving on empty lung to be able to sink
so they may do well on FRC and exhale diving.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT