• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving and adhd

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

1nfamous

Jul 27, 2017
Hello everybody,

I really want to explore the marine life. I like to snorkel, and i would like to learn more about snorkeling and freediving. First of all, i wanted to scuba dive, but i read to many articles about ADHD being a problem. Medication (Ritalin) could cause trouble too. I found out about freediving, and that looked very cool. Now, i couldnt find any article about ADHD being a problem with freediving. Still, i will have to see a doctor to clear me for it. Do you guys know anything about this and how do you guys fancy my chances?

Greetings

Hello everybody,

I really want to explore the marine life. I like to snorkel, and i would like to learn more about snorkeling and freediving. First of all, i wanted to scuba dive, but i read to many articles about ADHD being a problem. Medication (Ritalin) could cause trouble too. I found out about freediving, and that looked very cool. Now, i couldnt find any article about ADHD being a problem with freediving. Still, i will have to see a doctor to clear me for it. Do you guys know anything about this and how do you guys fancy my chances?

Greetings
Hey fellow "LOOK - SQUIRREL!" ;-)

I have never been medicated for my "condition" but it got way better over time (I'm 30 now). Well or I just could evade activities better which made my brain tease me to "just do something else already!". ;-)

BUT: Freediving has been a tremendous challenge for me in that regard. Everybody is like "empty your mind, think of nothing, be calm etc." but my brain just shifts into overdrive and thinks ALL THE THOUGHTS at once.
I love freediving so much and being underwater has a really calming aspect on my mind as well. At least when I am on my own terms. As soon as I am on the rope and want to achieve a new depth or "have to perform" it gets really hard sometimes to not let my thoughts run completely wild and destroy my calmness. Especially when the bodyload (sum of sensual impressions) rises, there is just a lot to process.

The preparation (stretching, breathing, putting on your gear) is a great way for me to actually spiral myself down towards a very calm state in which I am much more able to control my thoughts and mind. Or even better don't feel the need to, because it does not rush as hard as it sometimes does.
It is kind of a cure for me and I took up breathing and stretching excercises into my routine to extend the effects. (Aaand I totally refuse to call it Yoga.)

Since I know nothing about you (age, severeness of your adhd, dosage of ritalin etc.) I won't jump to any conclusions here. My advice is to try freediving and try not to perceive it as a anything else but a fun activity! It is a great sport but it is great mental challenge for normal people already. Don't let that intimidate you though. Have fun, explore, learn more about you, your body and mind. Go snorkelling and watch nature while being suspended in weightlessness. And maybe, maybe you'll start untangling the mess that sometimes pops up in your brain.

Everything that comes with it will make you understand yourself better and help you to develop ways of coping with a lot of stuff way better than you ever thought possible.

One last thing: I feel that it is a lot about the energy that comes with the people you're diving with. Just try to be aware of what happens around you and accept it. It is harder for us to stay into the flow and get back into it after distractions but it is possible most of the time.

Aaaand we're off into meta. sorry.
Well, if you have any questions or feel totally misrepresented let me know!

Reactions: Waterboy23
I take Adderall quite frequently for the same reason, hasn't stopped me from diving 5/7 days a week. But yea, I haven't noticed any problems freediving with ADHD. Theres been a few occasions where I've gone spearfishing just an hour or two after taking my adderall and I was perfectly fine.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT