• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving and DCI

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Good luck getting it sorted out. I've heard knowledgeable hyperbaric medicine people say that PFO is only an issue if you are diving profiles where significant bubbling occurs -- so normally a PFO wouldn't be an issue in a shallow dive setting. I was therefore surprised by the PFO story featured on deeperblue.net recently, because the author felt that she was having chronic low-grade DCI symptoms from shallow dives due to her PFO. I plan to take a workshop in advanced decompression physiology in a few weeks, and look forward to learning more on the topic.

my docs would agree with you Frank. They say it is unlikely to be due to PFO as PFO bends tend to be really obvious within half an hour of surfacing, not the kind of grumbly low grade aches and niggles described in that article (or that I had until my went a bit worse...)

still hope it is a PFO though, would be nice to know there was something to blame it on!

sam

hi
this may sound stupid... but hey i don't know everything..
What does PFO stand for?

Jure

PFO = Patent Foramen Ovale =

Hole in the Heart

Sam - There was an article a while back in 'Freediver' about tissue compartment saturation relating to freedivers. Not much practical advice, I seem to remember, but you might be able to relate the theory to a 'model' situation. If you haven't seen it, I'll dig it out for you.

Mark

Reactions: zipy
there's a nice article on deeperblue too on PFO although related to scuba diving, it still explains nicely what it is

Reactions: Erik
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT