• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving and Tympanoplasty surgery

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

martinvecchio

May 18, 2009
This is to put some light on one of the most confused areas in eardrum issues.

i had a hole in my eardrum due to a longer than it should infection product of diving, more than a year ago..., my eardrum healed with an opening and according to the doctor, the only solution was an eardrum repair surgery, or tympanoplasty.

i went to check several doctors and i made a huge amount of research online and it was extremely confusing, even seen ENTs telling and posting out there that after the surgery you should kiss goodbye diving and for sure FREEDIVING.

my home country Is Argentina and i went there and check with 3 different ENT and they were not sure about what are the consequences towards diving from a tympanoplasty, or eardrum replacement.

i contacted DAN, and they recommend one ETN ( Dr Telischi ) here in FL. I had an interview with him, and he told," ... yeah, after everything is fixed and healed you will be able to dive again...", this was the push i needed to move on.... (total time out of the water... 1 year: like 6 month pre-operation you should be dry, and 6 months after).

I had my operation and im doing my test dives this days six months after, ....last tuesday, slowly doing pulling down (free inmersion) i went to 85ft with no problems, in freediving.
i will still be conservative on this, but my conclusion first hand is .....
YES YOU CAN FREEDIVE after a tympanoplasty, and of course you can SCUBA DIVE as well ( even more because equalization is easier with more air in the lungs :))

my main concern was, also if i would be able to feel pain in case a faulty equalization... (that was important in order to stop going down and prevent damage), yes you feel pain/pressure in the eardrum !!!! :)

so far so god !
Martin

Reactions: fcallagy
Hi Martin
this is really good news!

I know so many people that are unable to dive due to a perforated ear drum. Glad things are working out well for you. I think it is also key that you started slowly by doing FIM instead of just "going for it" :)
:friday

Its amazing that you can still feel the pain as well, must have been a fantastic surgeon. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT