• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freediving at altitude

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lee

Oct 24, 2002
Are there any beginners courses at altitude, I am doing my 1st freediving course at the dolphin in the uk. After this I would like to dive at altitude if anyone could give me some lessons or organise a course in europe or uk I would be greatful.
In Hom delphinus, when j mayoll trained at altitude, his performances at sea level increased.
this is my first post.
I am a willimg learner

ALTITUDE

Lee,

You are invited, may be not in this ocassion (due to shortness of time), but in any other. This week-end www.apneamx.com staff is training at a lake in the crater of a volcano, 80 miles from Mexico City, at 14,000 feet above sea level.

Armando

Interesting question.
My country is as flat as a pancake. The highest point being something like 200 meters. But I'm curious to know what to expect when freediving at altitude.
Is there anything you should definitely know before doing so?

Do safety rules changes? Will you be able to go deeper or are you more limited due to the lesser oxygen at altitude (I suspect the latter).

Hi people,
I learned to, and have done, most of my freediving at 1500 metres. I did my best statics while at altitude too, but now I'm living at sea level, and will see what happens when I start training again.
The first time I went to the west coast of Canada to go diving with Freediver48, I was supercharged for about 2 days! My very first dive into the sea was a 10 metre dive with a static to get things churning, and I waited on the bottom for a LONG time before the contractions started. That day I dove easily, despite my unfamiliarity with the sea, but over a few days the "supercharge" dissipated and my haemoglobin adapted to the local ATM. The main difference I felt was that I was already in dive mode, and didn't need to do my standard warm up procedures.
This is why athletes train at altitude for marathons, and why there are devices that simulate altitude training while at higher ATMs.
Remember that the same thing can be accomplished simply by static training at any altitude.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Back here in South Africa , we do most of our diving at altitude, and on trips to the coast,
I have found that diving is much better when down at sea level.
Statics are longer , and bottom time as well as depth is better that high up in the mountains.

I am off to sea to test this once again, but this time it will take me 37 hours to get there,
for I have to fly all the way to Hawaii....for the Pacific Cup.
I will be leaving in an hour or so....wish me luck .

Good luck Herman, and say HI to the Canucks.....one of them (Brent) is South African.
Best wishes,
Erik Y.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT