• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving books

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Apn315st

Jul 19, 2016
hi there,

Can anyone recomend any good books about freediving or marine life.
Not just manuals, but accounts, stories or philosophy.

I have just read Deep:Freediving, Renegade Science, and What the Ocean Tells Us about Ourselves by James Nestor, which was awesome. Not just about freediving but about the ocean and life within it at different depths, and how/what humans have and are trying to discover about the deep ocean. It reads really well and has some really interesting info.

thanks in advance :)

I really like Catlos Eyles' books, particularly 'The Blue Edge' and 'Secret Seas.' Great stories and ocean philosophy. They'd be my top choice.

Also Umberto Pelizzari's 'Deeply,' and recently 'One Breath' are worth reading.

Great British Marine Animals by Paul Naylor is a great identification guide to the various marine life in British waters. He wrote it in the absence of anything similar and contains enough detail to understand more of what is going on amongst the various creatures we regularly see. I happened to meet him a few weeks back too and he's a thoroughly nice chap, very passionate about what he does. A marine biologist but will describe himself as a diver who takes pictures underwater. I think he took all the pictures within the book. I've found it very helpful.

And no, I'm not on commission for recommending his book!!

Check "One Breath: Freediving, Death, and the Quest to Shatter Human Limits" by Adam Skolnick. I really enjoyed it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT