• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving buddies waiting for U in Moalboal / Philippines

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

waneugaine

Feb 15, 2012
Hi!

You are welcome to join (the new born) freediving community of Moalboal, Philippines.

Where ?

We usually dive in Tongo because of its ideal conditions. It is sheltered, calm, with depth and no current.

50m from the shore (where the sailing boat is) you have 20m and it quickly goes down to 50/70/80m...

In Panagsama beach, the shallow buoy is nice for beginners or to watch sardines. The deepest buoy is not ideal as most of the time you get current. We rarely dive there.

Up North is the sanctuary, with no wind or when it comes from the south it is a beautiful place to freedive. Larger variety and number of fishes (barracudas and sharks can be seen). colorful corals. I like this place :).

Identity/spirit of Moalboal freediving community :
Safety as the first priority, pleasure as the second.

Who?
At the moment 4/5 freedivers (amateurs and instructors). Some at around 20/30m others with a Pb bellow 60/80m.

When ?
Whenever you want/ can. From now and the coming months the weather is perfect here. Warm water, pleasant air temperature.

Leaving in Moalboal :
You will find everything you need here. There is a local market, many shops, 3/4 pharmacies, a mall, even a disgusting mac Donalds :)...

The longer you stay the better.
Renting a house with 1 room is around 200usd/ month ; One with 2 rooms 300usd/month.
A hotel room in a nice place is around 14usd a night. A regular meal is from 2 to 6 usd.
Renting a motorbike for a month is 100usd.

So, a nice place with nice people, perfect freediving conditions, many turtles :), diving buddies...you have a better idea ?

yesterday's static session was a good one. Clemens was happy to go back to an "over 6'00 breathold". I was happy to feel the need to breath after 4'00 and do a quiet comfortable 5'10.

These days in Static i enjoy doing 2 exercises.
The first one is "the longest exhale you can". It is about holding your breath and start your apnea exhaling as little as you can, and the longest you can. I try not to swallow at any moment of the exercise, controlling the flow of air to keep it constant.

The second one is about "partial inhales ..." You start the exercise with empty lungs and when you feel like it you secure your posture and inhale what you think is 1/3 of your lungs before continuing your breathold. Then, when you feel like it, you inhale another 1/3 ( which makes you 2/3 full) and continue your breath hold ....till the last inhale to be "full lungs".
About this exercise, you have 2 approaches. You can take the inhale before the first contraction and, training session after training session try to relax more in order to delay your contractions and have a longer static time.

Or you can play it "hypoxia i love you" and stay the longer you can before taking in your 1/3 inhale.

At the moment i focus more on no-contraction exercises as i have been a bit "traumatized" by too tough pool sessions a couple of years ago. i want to consider static sessions as enjoyable as open water ones.

Tomorrow is a depth training session, still in Tongo bay :

The numbers are the depth :).

Training sessions are still on :)

I am not planning to go "deep" these next 2 weeks and will just do safety dives for Clemens or other divers.

Actually a week and a half ago i was doing hangs at 45/50 and i swallowed which put some kind of tension in my throat so ...i didn't squeeze but afterwards i could feel like i had a half peanut stuck in the throat :meh: so...this sensation is still there and i need to let it repair and stop putting pressure on it. I think i went back deep too quickly or was too confident and not focused enough, it happened.

during a static session we had the visit of this breath-holder (eating at the same time :))
8pN3Xs.jpg

This morning, we did another static session.
I focused on "making bubbles" and 3 times, i did a breath-hold exhaling the longest i could : 3'28" / 3'42" /4'05".
I am getting better at this game and I have the sensation that it helps me enjoy at its best the comfort zone of the first minutes in static.
After this exercise, I did a 5'02 full lungs with a first contraction at 3'50. Before the breath-holds in static I hyperventilate but not that much (deeper an quicker breathing cycles for 30/40 sec) as I don't like the feeling of an altered consciousness. It is the 3rd time in 4 sessions that I reach +5'00 without "fighting"as the end of the comfort zone is around 4'. I will keep on training this way and see in a couple of weeks if I am still happy and have longer comfortable breath-holds.

I won't dive deep but instead will keep on playing with Clemens underwater cam :)
y5cJVH.jpg

nS0t6M.jpg

Reactions: _Seb
Bubble time !

I passed the 4'10" mark with the longest exhale exercise. Outbubbling Clemens by far .... :cool:
The positive thing with these exercises (based on enjoying the comfort zone) is that now, i like static sessions, a lot!!
In France, when i started apnea pool training i was traumatized by them.
In terms of "results" i did 6'30" last week. My last pb was 6'02 so i guess it works. I think it does because it makes the largest part of the session a very enjoyable moment with nice sensations and at the same time it teases you to be more curious and go longer. For the 6'30" breathold i was out of my comfort zone at around 4' and took the decision at 5' to see how far i wanted to hold ... when i went out, I was fresh and aware of what was going on...with some "air left in the tank". See how it goes in the coming weeks.
I really enjoyed Tomaz coaching by the way, nice voice tone, right words. Thx !!

A couple of pics of our training sessions with Gee and Clemens.
Where we enter the water in Tongo

and ...when obviously, you do not master the Panoramic mode of a camera

Open water session.

And snorkeling sessions:

viewer.php

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT