• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freediving course

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Interesting thread.

There is little doubt that, if you want an instructor who can maximize your potential in freediving, a graduate of a one week instructor course isn't likely to be that instructor, no matter what his scuba instructing or freediving experience. Freediving is way to individual and subtle for that. But, from a big picture, future of the sport, viewpoint, is that what is needed? If the goal is to generate a whole bunch of active freedivers(not my goal) , sell a lot of gear, book a bunch of dive trips, teach a lot of classes, etc, would it make more sense to take this route? You would end up with a lot of moderately qualified divers, a much bigger sport, and some divers who would really get serious and pursue excellence, better instruction, etc. Is that a good thing or not?? I don't see any reason why the safety aspects of freediving could not be adequately taught by this approach. Seems like the rest depends on your viewpoint and goal.

It also opens the door for further stratification of freediving instruction, with really top instructors specializing in advanced students. There might be a lot more"caveat emptor", but such is life.

Connor

Last edited:
Even if the SSI instructors are of lesser quality, I still think this is a good thing.

There are many parts of the world where non-SSI freediving courses do not exist.

even though the prerequisites in terms of depth to become an instructor are higher in aida (40 m), all the other standards applied by SSI are not any lower than the ones we use in AIDA. on top of that you have to consider than majority of the SSI instructors are only qualified to teach the first level, which has a depth requirement of 10m and a maximim depth limit of 20m.

linda

Hi

I have never done a freedive course can someone please explain to me why depth has anything to do with what qualification you achieve? Sorry if that is a stupid or simple question? The above quote says that to be an aida instructor you have to dive to 40m? And with SSI you have to acheive 10m to 20m?

Does this mean my mate who can dive to 40m who doesnt have a clue what a samba or bloodshift is etc can become an instructor because he has met this limit? Just seems a bit silly, some people who are natural athletes or have training from different backgrounds are more than likely going to be able to go far beyond what an instructor can do just with natural ability even if they have no idea about how they did it or the theory behind it?

Hahahahaha NQ Spearo talking form experience? congrats on the big dive as well!

DD

nq spearo,

you have misread what i worte.
40m is one of the prerequisites to become aida instructor. and no, just because you dive to 40 you don't become an instructor, obviously. you have to do all the other courses (aida2+aida3+aida4) and then you will be entitled to enter the instructor course.

then, if you re-read what i said, the 10m depth is the minimum requirement that a level 1 STUDENT will need to fulfill (together with other requirements!) in order to finish his level one course and to get his level one certification. it doens't have anything to do with nstructor standards.

hey trullalla that makes lots more sense, so you would also have to do a theory exam or something like that to become an aida instructor? As well as passing previous exams etc?

I certainly wouldnt be listening to any scuba instructor who has done a five day course on freediving who can then all of a sudden can teach people how to freedive ???? No thanks ive worked in the scuba dive industry before as a divemaster, to think that some of the instructors i met could teach people how to freedive in 5 days hmmmmmmm.

Hey bjorn thanks man. I would like to think that I have slightly more theory knowlege than my mate but not much hahahaha :headI know what a samba is .....just lol

Out of interest what other agencies are there that have freediving as a course?
Aida, Apnea Academy, FREE, SSI, I think SDI have it as a speciality as well but not sure any others?

It always seemed a bit weird to me to certify freedivers to 'levels', as freediving is a sport based on physical ability and training rather than a skillset like SCUBA. Hence even the highest AIDA levels have to remain really tame, because they must be attainable by the majority of the population with a minumum of training in order for the commercial model to work. I do understand its relevance for beginners though, to make sure they know all the safety stuff and the key scientific principles. So these SSI courses are probably good for educating the masses. I run courses in NZ, but I'm more interested in doing it as sport coaching than in making newbies recite the effects of the dive response back at me.

So overall, a good thing I reckon. Filling a niche most experienced freedivers/trainers don't want to take responsibility for anyway and hopefully getting more people into the sport, or at least aware of it. I'm actually keen on doing one of these courses to see what it's like. Incognito would be cool - thankfully I'm not that well known!

Reactions: apneaboy
Well having only ran my first course a few weeks ago the studenst and subsequent enquiries are not looking for depth just being more comfortable in the water to 10m or less.
Of the four students I had 3 were reasonably experianced and had been diving or snorkelling and one was a surfer. None had depth as something they wanted to achieve at the start of the course but they did want to understand what was happening, how to stay down longer, and how to dive safer.

I'm actually keen on doing one of these courses to see what it's like. Incognito would be cool - thankfully I'm not that well known!

They might twig who you are if there is a dynamic aspect to the course. :)

Regards,
Dave.

Incognito would be cool - thankfully I'm not that well known!

Dave: Hi i'm Dave, your instructor for today.

i'm going to demonstrate dynamic apnea, just watch each of these 10 lengths so you know how to do it.

okay, your turn now

Students: WTF ???

haha

You need a moustache, wig and some clown shoes attached to your knees so you can be shorter, good luck with that :)

Reactions: island_sands
Dave: Hi i'm Dave, your instructor for today.

i'm going to demonstrate dynamic apnea, just watch each of these 10 lengths so you know how to do it.

okay, your turn now

Students: WTF ???

haha

You need a moustache, wig and some clown shoes attached to your knees so you can be shorter, good luck with that :)

rofl rofl rofl

its intersting all these reading all these coments i think people have to remember back to when they first started diving and think what it was like ?
i think some basic instruction to get past that first 10m really gives people a good start as i found once past 10m the rest got easyer
some are going to run with it and search out further development
and at least there will be more divers trained to deal with the risks this sport has.
i think overall as this sport grows these training programs are just going to be part of it

It always seemed a bit weird to me to certify freedivers to 'levels', as freediving is a sport based on physical ability and training rather than a skillset like SCUBA. Hence even the highest AIDA levels have to remain really tame, because they must be attainable by the majority of the population with a minumum of training in order for the commercial model to work. I do understand its relevance for beginners though, to make sure they know all the safety stuff and the key scientific principles. So these SSI courses are probably good for educating the masses.

Exactly where it fits. You may also want to consider insurance, and dive trips. If I organise a dive trip and get people joining who say they want to dive to 30m, I would ask for their cert to verify that they have learnt how to do it. In that sense, I want them to have a number of skills (buddy system, being able to rescue someone from 15m, handle a SWB, equalize comfortably using Frenzal, etc.) which they have to demonstrate before they get their level 2 certs (speaking in the context of SSI). Also, if a diver on a trip goes crazy and refuses to dive with a buddy, blacks out at depth, is recovered somehow and comes back with a busted eardrum, the instructor cannot be held liable as, having previously passed a course, the diver is supposed to know the correct techniques and procedures. And if everyone follows the standards and something goes wrong, well, we're covered by insurance!

Btw, in terms of the levels being tame, most recreational freedivers I know would be ecstatic to get to 40m ;-)

I run courses in NZ, but I'm more interested in doing it as sport coaching than in making newbies recite the effects of the dive response back at me. So overall, a good thing I reckon. Filling a niche most experienced freedivers/trainers don't want to take responsibility for anyway and hopefully getting more people into the sport, or at least aware of it.

I'd be keen to join one of these coaching courses... That's also why I go to Egypt to get some coaching with Freedive Dahab and would love to join Will's trainings in the Bahamas... Let's also hope freediving doesn't get too popular, I mean would you be able to secure a coaching session with Zidane if you play soccer? That would cost you an arm and a leg ;-)

I'm actually keen on doing one of these courses to see what it's like. Incognito would be cool - thankfully I'm not that well known!

Can you fake contractions???

I think Freedive Dahab are signing up to SSI.. if I am not mistaken, they have been in Australia recently with Mike Wells.

Will be interesting to see how it takes off in Egypt. Huge competition for AIDA then!

yes i admit it! we did it! we're now SSI instructor trainers:)
but of course we still teach all aida courses.

in the beginning of october we will do the first SSI instructor course for europe, so we'll see how it goes:)

linda

Reactions: island_sands
Btw, in terms of the levels being tame, most recreational freedivers I know would be ecstatic to get to 40m ;-)

Yeah their expectations are low because the sport has been mysticised. In most mainstream sports amateurs might expect to attain, say, 75% of world record performances with some training and a little talent. There's this massive gap in freediving.

Can you fake contractions???
I reckon I can fake contractions and even an LMC pretty well. Dunno about cyanosis and BO though...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT