• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving fins and traveling with fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Thelonious

Nov 11, 2019
Hi there,

I'm a beginner/intermediate freediver that is quite interested in getting some solid equipment.

It's really hard to find thorough brand comparisons between different freediving fins. It seems like every website is only really reviewing/favouring certain brands. Lots of sponsorship-inspired opinions, I'm sure.

Ideally I'd like to purchase some modular foot pockets that I can get multiple types of fins for. Probably start with a plastic fin and move up to a carbon fibre fin.

I've considered:
Cressi
Gara
c4
mares

But I'd really like a thorough comparison of those and more of the major brands.

Also, I'm wondering how to travel with these fins. I'm thinking I'll get a bigger suitcase, and if the fins are modular then I can take them apart and shave at least a little of their length down. But it would still be tight, since suitcases usually max out at around 32", and freediving fins are usually that length or longer. How does anyone else travel? Freediving fins are too big for carry-on.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I'm a beginner/intermediate freediver that is quite interested in getting some solid equipment.

It's really hard to find thorough brand comparisons between different freediving fins. It seems like every website is only really reviewing/favouring certain brands. Lots of sponsorship-inspired opinions, I'm sure.

Ideally I'd like to purchase some modular foot pockets that I can get multiple types of fins for. Probably start with a plastic fin and move up to a carbon fibre fin.

I've considered:
Cressi
Gara
c4
mares

But I'd really like a thorough comparison of those and more of the major brands.

Also, I'm wondering how to travel with these fins. I'm thinking I'll get a bigger suitcase, and if the fins are modular then I can take them apart and shave at least a little of their length down. But it would still be tight, since suitcases usually max out at around 32", and freediving fins are usually that length or longer. How does anyone else travel? Freediving fins are too big for carry-on.

Thanks!

Hopefully you will also consider MAKO Spearguns as you research the market. We offer a wide variety of replaceable blades all the way from inexpensive polymer to full Carbon Fiber.

If you are unsure about what is involved in removal or replacement of blades, this video should be very useful to you. A few simple tricks makes the process MUCH easier.

thanks
dano

Hi there,

I've considered:
Cressi
Gara
c4
mares

Thanks!

I recently purchased the Mako Carbon Elite Freedive fins. They're awesome and the price is right. Highly recommended.

As far as traveling with fins... You can take them apart and they will fit in some of the bigger suitcases. I've done that before and it works. But it's a pain in the neck because you have to bring tools and it takes some time. I also worry about doing it too many times as fins and footpockets are not really designed for constant dissassembly and reassembly. Or maybe I'm just lazy... TBH, I only did it once.

I now travel with a Beuchat Mundial Spearfishing Backpack 2. It's under 62 linear inches so airlines don't consider it an oversized bag which makes it easy to check without having to worry about extra fees. I always wrap the fins in towels and clothes for extra protections.

I never attempted to carry fins on. Some have been successful but I never had the cojones to attempt it.

Hi,

I have tried different fins. If it gets to travelling, you should buy fins with replaceable blades.
I own Cressi Gara 2000 HP (which are the stiffest with best fitting footpockets), Beuchat Mundial 50
(they have a wider footpocket stiff blades and do not really work good with me).
These both are one piece fins.
I really like the Omer Stingray. They have a nice fitting footpocket are less stiff then the Cressi
and have the nicest overall performance (including snorkeling) with me. For deepdiving I
attache carbon blades to the Omer footpockets. These are medium stiff full carbon blades
from Leaderfins. Their stiffness is in between the Cressi and the Stingrays.
You should find a good fitting footpocket which is able to carry blades from an other brand.
If you've read the forum, you should have noticed, that the Mako fins have a good reputation.
As you live in Canada it may be easier to get in touch with those fins then in Europe.
The big brands are less expensive in Europe, so the Mako fins may be a good deal, if they fit.

Greetings from Germany

P.S. I took apart my Stingray fins more than a dozen times. It is no big pain at all.

Thanks!

Check hockey duffle bags, those ones you can buy relatively cheap, and pick the right size. I have 44" bag, and it fits my 75cm spear gun and longblade fins. I have flown a few years with this arrangement, Europe, Asia - everywhere. I think up to 120cm long it goes into a regular luggage section. When I travelled with my monofin I made up stiff package out of cardboard and arranged it into "fragile/extra long" lugage. Can't remember what airline it was, but there was no extra fee involved, just a bit of walking from regular luggage pick up to a separate luggage area, I think all airports have those.

as for long blades, I see no real measurable difference. I have Gara 3000, subgear and Bare. Apart from slightly different shape, performance is virtually identical, can't go wrong with any of those.

and one more thing, forgot to mention. You can bend the blades, curve them to fit into 32" long luggage, I have been doing it a few times. There will be a slight residual curve to the blade once you arrive and unpack your gear, but this goes away quickly.

Hey, I have bought a shortened model from Ultrafins called "Speedy" which they say is good for travelling. The fins have the angle, which is good. I love them. The kick is great the price is very affordable. Thou, when I'm off for long summer vacations I prefer to dive with a full size ultrafins.
UltraFins-Speedy-3-small-2.jpg
UltraFins-Speedy-3-small-2.jpg

I use C4 Mustangs and carry them in a hard rifle case. I did learn to put dive stickers on it to reduce the number of stares in the airport. On happy note, I have yet to have an airline put it on the luggage carousel. I get to pick them up from the luggage security stand. I feel like this makes it a little less likely that they will be stolen.

Call or visit a physical store that has experience with different many different fins and pockets and fitting them on people. there's plenty of long fin back packs on the market now that you can pack up with padding, or check out the sport tubes to haul all of your gear in!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT