• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving Fins for Scuba Diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Neil Andoque

Jan 29, 2019
Annually for the past 3 years I have joining dive trips to Indonesia. Since I have been certified I have been a solid Jet Fin user all this time but as I have learned that these fins are not really ideal for traveling because of their weight and in very strong current dive sites (Raja Ampat, Komodo). Although I have managed myself in these dives, I have seen that most of the guides here use long/freediving fins and I can see how easy for them to achieve smooth fining with less effort in notoriusly current sites.

So I have decided to get me a pair of long fins specifically for this type of use, but as I have done my research I have found out that there are certain type/brand/model of fins that are rated for only a certain depth. They say that once you descend more than the rated depth that the fins don't function or doesn't do their purpose well.

I want to ask if there's anyone here who can help me choose the proper fins? I am looking at purchasing plastic fins because of their price and the only options I have right now are Mares Razor (not PRO), Mares Concorde, Omer Stingray, Beuchat Mundial One, Beauchat Mundial One 50, Beauchat Mundial Competition, Cressi Gara Modular.

Personally, I am a great fan of FD fins for warm water scuba diving with streamlined, minimal rig (Apeks Nylon BP and D-18 bladder, 3mm neon or 4th Elelment Thermocline, 1-2 kg lead). Opinions differ widely on this - there are various threads on this. Of your selection, I have personally tried only Mares Razor and Cressi Gara Modular and have a preference for the latter. I use a pair of Spierre Pure Carbon with Gara fps and like them a lot, but they are pricey. I think your choice really comes down to the footpocket unless you also want to do serious freediving. All of them should give you way more propulsion than Jet Fins, and you probably won't notice the impact of the different hardness of blades so much when using them for scuba diving because you will tend to move less. So a comfy pocket is paramount. Only way to find out is to try them on...

Thanks for the response and basing on your answer I have decided to get the Mares Instinct Pro, it's the only one available with a comfortable foot pocket and its the only one that has my size.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT