• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

A.Naish

Dec 10, 2017
I am going to buy a longblade. Even though i have used them for some dives i don't know what to look for while buying. So guys I would love to hear your recommendations..
Im a beginner freediver looking to increase my depth. I would like good fins with a good price tag. Plus, comfort is a huge deal for me. So thanks for any suggestions ;)

Sent from my HTC One_E8 using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong with Cressi Gara for beginning freediving. Beuchat Mundial One-50 are also good starting fins. Both have low price tags as far as fins go.

Reactions: A.Naish
There is such a broad range in prices for freedive fins, it probably makes sense to set a rough budget. For example, we offer fins that range in price from around $50 (a children's freedive fin) to approaching $300 for carbon fiber (and you can spend a lot more than that elsewhere if you are inclined)

If you are going for the most economical fin, then your selection for stiffness is limited. Once you move into fiberglass, carbon fiber (or a hybrid combination of both those materials) you begin to be able to chose a particular blade hardness.

Do NOT under estimate the importance of optimizing the fin stiffness for your body and for your application. A good pair of fiberglass fins that are well matched for your needs will be more desirable than the most expensive carbon fiber fins that are either way too soft or way too hard.

Divers who are less than 200 lbs, we generally steer them toward a soft blade. Spearfisherman sometimes prefer a stiffer blade, so they can try to apply more pressure to a large fish (not that this is a good idea when deep).

Hopefully that will give you a few things to consider.

Reactions: A.Naish
There is such a broad range in prices for freedive fins, it probably makes sense to set a rough budget. For example, we offer fins that range in price from around $50 (a children's freedive fin) to approaching $300 for carbon fiber (and you can spend a lot more than that elsewhere if you are inclined)

If you are going for the most economical fin, then your selection for stiffness is limited. Once you move into fiberglass, carbon fiber (or a hybrid combination of both those materials) you begin to be able to chose a particular blade hardness.

Do NOT under estimate the importance of optimizing the fin stiffness for your body and for your application. A good pair of fiberglass fins that are well matched for your needs will be more desirable than the most expensive carbon fiber fins that are either way too soft or way too hard.

Divers who are less than 200 lbs, we generally steer them toward a soft blade. Spearfisherman sometimes prefer a stiffer blade, so they can try to apply more pressure to a large fish (not that this is a good idea when deep).

Hopefully that will give you a few things to consider.
My budget is around $150

Sent from my HTC One_E8 using Tapatalk

My 2 cents. I'm 205 lbs, 6 feet, strong legs - so I got the Mako fiberglass mediums for my first fins. But it turns out they were too stiff. I then replaced the blades with the soft blades and like them much better. Unless you are going to do a lot of diving and can keep your legs super tuned up - I'd recommend the soft blades.

Mako and Mark are right on. Assuming you are less than 200 in not in top shape, the only good reason to have hard, or even medium blades, is acceleration(torque). Some spearos need it and correctly stay away from soft. I preferred fiberglass mediums for spearing. For normal diving less than 30m, softs are wonderful. At your budget, seriously consider Cressi Gara LDs. They are fairly soft and bullet proof.

To another question, I'm looking for some soft, preferably fiberglass, blades that will fit Spora pockets. I used a set of C4 vtr 25's a few years back and love'm. Apparently they are no longer made. Any suggestions?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT