• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving in Bali.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

squip

Mar 26, 2002
Hi guys,
currently Im taking it easy on the Phi Phi island in Thailand. Sported shark first my time ever this morning!!(Saw totally around 20 black tip reefsharks :))

Heading for Bali in a month or so and I wonder if you guys have any specific freediving spots you recommend. Not too deep, max 25-30m.

Thanks!!

hi. thailand good but bali even better. (unless you been to surin/ similan). have spearfished the east coast of bali, was very pleasently surprised, lots of dog tooth tuna and spanish mackerell.(off gilli topekong, near chandadisa, NE coast). havent been but i hear nusa penida is even better, with 30m vis as apposed to bali's typical 15m. have got the email addresses of local balanese spero's if you would like? nice guys, enthusiastic and very competent. they live and dive mainly arround Sanur. cheers
bevan

Hi there

Saw the post and was very interested to find out e-mail adreses and contact details .

I am in Singapore at the moment getting a 1 month extension visa for Indo .

Am a keen spearo looking to hook up with some local guys. I am going to be surfing the Sanur side so would be perfect for me.

Look forward to hearing from you .

Cheers

Reg

If you do find some good spots, would you mind adding them to my database at www.freedivingspots.net ?
I'd like to build a worldwide catalog of the good place to freedive. The more info in there, the better of use it will be for all freedivers.

Freedive/Spearfish Bali/Lombok

Have a look at Gili Trawangan off the west coast of Lombok. Trawangan wall is accesible from the shore and drops off to about 20m with a fair amount of reef life , turtles, reef shark and if you are lucky Trevally. Big school of sea bass that is pretty much resident their.

Nusa Lombongan is not a bad place to do some freediving/spearfishing but the currents are huge so have to time your dives around slack water. The surf break shipwrecks is a swimmable distance from the shore which although not that deep, should provide an interesting dive. The rest of the divesites are only accessible by boat. This will cost you about 150,000 for the trip.

The only other place I have been to is off the island called Sumba. Mangudu island is run by a couple of finnish guys .The water is really deep around the island but they have a dinghy and will ferry you out to spots when you want to go.Viz 15 - 20 m so not fantastic but good enough. If you are a surfer this is a big wave spot.

I tried a couple of spots on the south west but as bevan said the viz is not that great.

Hope the above gives you a couple of ideas.

I spent some time staying on Nusa Lembongan and freediving around the 3 islands there. Nusa Penida has some good spots. Take the public boat from Sanur (around 3$) and you can stay on the island for about 7$ a night.
I went out with the scuba boats at a cheap snorkeller rate. Don't go on the snorkelling boats or snorkelling trips as they're not good for freediving. I didn't get a chance to spear, but it's easy to set up locally.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Reg, 2 guys I dived with in Sanur: Toron- bali_spearfishing@yahoo.com (owns a few boats in front of Sanur Bay Rest. called "My Darling Boat Rental"),
Andre Wicaksana- menara@indosat.net.id ph 722384/722385(makes the best looking teak tuna guns I've seen in years).
2 other helpfull guys i corresponded with but didnt get to dive with: Herling-rotclan@yahoo.com, and Deeperblue's Iya
If you do hook up with any of them tell them howzit for me.
hope you get some swell,
Bevan

Thanks for the info guys!!!
8 more days, then I hit the waters of Bali...

Erik: Had the same experience with "snorkling" boats, not very good. The problem is that sometimes the divingboats wont take freedivers(ie Phi Phi isl. in Thailand, no freedivers were allowed:()
Hope the divingboats in Bali will allow us onboard....

Cheers
Johan

hi. thailand good but bali even better. (unless you been to surin/ similan). have spearfished the east coast of bali, was very pleasently surprised, lots of dog tooth tuna and spanish mackerell.(off gilli topekong, near chandadisa, NE coast). havent been but i hear nusa penida is even better, with 30m vis as apposed to bali's typical 15m. have got the email addresses of local balanese spero's if you would like? nice guys, enthusiastic and very competent. they live and dive mainly arround Sanur. cheers
bevan
Could you please provide me with a competent guide for Nusa Penida?
I’m looking for my first dogtooth here but I’d be much more comfortable with some experienced guidance.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT