• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving in Gili

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Chris119

Aug 23, 2010
Hi,

My name is Chris and I'm currently living in London. I want to get the hell out of England for a few months and do some freediving! I'm basically looking for somewhere where i can live pretty cheap (like in a little beach hut) and freedive off of the beach (I know, I'm not asking for a lot!). I've been looking at the island of Gili off the coast of bali which seems pretty awesome. Just wondering if anyone has ever been or if there are other places people would recommend?

Thanks

Chris

It would be a very lonely person if he or she would share their secret hideout spot! :D LOL

Hi Chris

The Gilis are a fantastic place to freedive, I've been there twice and I will go back, for sure. 28-31C water temp and a drop-off right off the beach, means you can dive along a vertical wall 25m off the islands. There are sometimes currents between the islands, for these are quite deep channels.

Those currents create some pretty nice surf breaks on the southern end of all three islands, just in case your friends need some more convincing input to join you :inlove

So what I can recommend: Contact Mike of "Freedive Gili" for sessions and courses. You'll find him on Gili Trawangan (the Gilis consist of three islands). He's an Apnea Total instructor, so that's a bit different from AIDA or AA.

It's still possible easy to find very cheap accommodation on Trawangan. Avoid peak season, take half a day to check out all the places on the island, stay away from the packed places and bargain for a good long-stay deal. We're talking <$8/night.

..and enjoy paradise!

Oli

Gili T is awesome! I couldn't escape from that island! It's just paradise!

It's also where I learned about free diving. Mike does a great 2-day intro class. Lots of good info, practice with breathing, and then out into the water. He said ~80% get to 20+ meters by the 2nd day!

Oh, and look for the 'free dive' sign. But also just look for Manta Dive. That's where he was working last January (they have pretty good fresh fish at night at the connected restaurant as well.

I'd highly recommend a trip to Gili regardless. But the added bonus of a cool free diving class certainly doesn't hurt :)

Paradise? Hardly. Unless you are looking to trip out on Mushrooms and get wasted. The Gili's are a good place if you don't know what good diving looks like and you can not tell when a place has been bombed out and cyanide fished. There are plenty of rstaurants and cheap accomodations, and there are heaps of good looking girls from all over the world.. But, there is much better diving in other places in Indonesia, and in the world. I guess I'm jaded having watched the Gillis go from a group of semi inhabited coconut islands with rich, pristine, marine reef.. to a Full moon party High spot for tourists, whose reefs were raped during the fall of Suharto. Paradise? Hardly.

Hi behslayer
You're right, if you go with the main flow, that's what the Gilis feel like.
But still, for the reasons I described, it's a good place to start freediving, don't you think?

Oli

Thanks for the replies, its good to get the different opinions of people who've spent some time there. Elduderino, cheers for your input. I've been in touch with Mike and he's been massively helpful. Behslayer...good to hear from someone with a different view of the islands. Can you recommend somewhere a bit more untouched in Indonesia (or anywhere really).

id love to get out there and dive with mike ..he is a top man and a great diver i met him out in dahab in march when he broke the british free immersion record....
and for anyone else interested i would go to www.freedivegili.com

Hey all,

I'm going there for the first time.
2months starting December 3rd 2010.
I'm a freediving instructor looking for someone to train with...
I have my own buoy and 90m line.

Cheers,
Rahel

(rahel@freediving.biz)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT