• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freediving in San Diego area (la jolla)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

J.Mols

May 28, 2002
Hi,

I will be moving for my job from Belgium to San Diego (la jolla) for 2-3 years. Any freedivers out there?? I will be ther by the end of July.
Best

Dude, asking if there are any freedivers in La Jolla is like asking if Belgians ever eat potatos.

La Jolla is OceanSwimmer's stomping grounds and the place has no shortage of spearos.

The cove itself is a decent dive site. Plenty of shallow snorkeling right off the beach. You can hit depths of about 60-70' within the preserve (an area where boats are excluded and where folks do a lot of ocean swimming etc.), and you could actually swim out to the canyon and set a world record in any discipline, if you are so inclined and are willing to brave the boat traffic. The caves are another cool area, as long as the cops aren't chasing someone through them (inside joke).

The Scripps pier is another famous dive site in the area.

Here's a site that has coordinates and detailed instructions for finding some interesting wrecks in the general area:
http://home.nethere.net/willisjs/wrecks.htm. Freediving to the Cabezon cruiser would be a pretty cool feat.

Here's another site w/ summaries of some of the more well-known shore dives in Southern California. Note that about half of the sites are near San Diego.
http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalS/index.htm

Orange County has some nice sites (and nicer people) that are worth driving to visit, and you can drive up to Dana Point if you want to take a boat over to Catalina.

There are lots of boats that go to the Coronados and San Clemente Island too.

So, yeah, there's some freediving in La Jolla ;).

Last edited:
Thanks, Pez....

J.Mols, First, check your Private Messages. Second...
Pez is right....the first freediving club in the USA was started here in 1939...so yeah....PM me if you would like to come to our meetings. The SD Freedivers are on msn.com groups. Here's the link:
http://groups.msn.com/SanDiegoFreeDiver/welcome1.msnw

--When you see the logo, point and click on it and you'll be invited to jump in :) or you can view the photos and see what we are getting. Our meeting-venue has changed, so call or e-mail when you're ready to visit us :)

I'll be back stateside July 24, so you might want to PM any of the members listed in the group. We're user-friendly :eek:
Welcome to California! :cool:

Last edited:
me and my friend dive off la jolla kelp beds all the time and dont see S#!t...

we r wondering if anyone knows any better spots to dive in and if we can join a group for a dive.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT