• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving in Seychelles

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
we couldnt get past 12metres... unless you took a shovel with you! :)

the waters are really shallow around Seychelles... but there are huge blocks of granite on the bottom with corals and reef fish. really pretty.

Granite on the beach!

Attachments

• seychelles 8.09.04 036.jpg
    seychelles 8.09.04 036.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 350
Is not how deep... but how you enjoy it...

Attachments

• sara-and-the-turtle.jpg
    sara-and-the-turtle.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 349
Looks like a pretty rough day, this pic with the turtle shows little visibility, but the others - especially the eagle ray looks like wonderful vis. As soon as I saw those matrix fins I had my suspicions je je...:) Detective Frank Deepend is going to look into this! :D

Adrian

hahahahahahaha..... yeah Pablo came a long way.... we had the greatest time!

As the old saying goes, you know a man by his fins!

(Old as of 20 secons) he he...

Adrian

Beautiful photos!

Island_sands and Pablo, could you give me some tips on the best freediving (and scuba, if you did any) spots? Which islands did you dive at?
I am going to Seychelles in one week for the rest of the year to work on my masters project, and hopefully I will have time to do some diving too! I will stay mostly on Cousin, Cousine and Denis islands, but will visit other places as well.

Did you meet any local freedivers? You said that it is mostly shallow water... are there any spots good for deeper freediving?

I'm lucky to have found this thread!

-Jussi-

hey Jussi!
the seychelles are beautiful... you are so lucky!

we stayed at Praslin.. i heard some things about the other islands but not too much.. we didn't meet any local freedivers but there are loads of locals in the dive shops that i am sure do some spearfishing on the sly as they were very interested in our fins....
what will you be doing there? are you a marine biologist?

Hi sands!
I'll be working on the Seychelles magpie-robin recovery programme. The Seychelles magpie-robin is a critically endangered bird that is only found in the Seychelles. At one point there were only 12-15 individuals left, but right now the number is 130+. If you are interested go to
http://www.arkive.org/species/GES/birds/Copsychus_sechellarum/more_info.html
or
http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/search/species_search.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=6638&m=0

So I'm not a marine biologist, but there is no reason why I shouldn't work in that field in the future, hopefully will but time will tell :) Finland isn't the best place to study marine biology, though... :head

Back to the freediving... Right now I don't really know how much free time I will have, but I will try to go in the mornings before work as much as I can. A friend who has been to Seychelles had been warned to avoid swimming early in the morning because of sharks. Did you hear about this?

How would you compare the diving to Maldives, by the way? Haven't been there but hope to some day :)

lol! i only saw on shark in seychelles... which was a poor man's shark (white tip) hiding under a rock..

i prefer the diving in maldives, there is more coral and there are some interesting pinnacles and drop offs..

oops gotta go busy again..

hey your project is interesting. will look up the websites later.
cheers for now,
S-L

That's what I thought when he told me about the shark warning... But still, it's never a bad idea to listen to what the locals have to say before jumping in the water.

But only one shark? That's a surprise. I hope they are a bit more numerous when I get there! And I've got to see a whale shark this time :)

august is whale shark season in Seychelles...get in contact with whitetip divers at the paradise sun... really friendly people and the owner is interested in freediving...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT