• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving mask

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ctaut

Sep 27, 2004
Hi,

I have an Aqualung Look mask now, and I want to buy another one for free diving.
Can somebody help me to choose a good freediving mask?

Thank You!

Hi,
a lot of people like
# Aqualung Sphera (especially for competitive freediving / CW since it has a very low volume and the ability to flex due to the plastic lenses. A downside ist that the lenses scratch easily and I've also seen them pop out of the frame when the mask has been used for quite a while. Very nice mask but you should be aware of that if you own one...).
# Technisub Falco (looks very much like the Sphera but has glass lenses. They thus don't scratch but the mask has a little bit more volume.)
# Cressi Minima (has a very low volume but also a very narrow field of vision. Some like that, others don't).

But there probably is a lot of other good stuff around, too - those are just the ones I know and like and I know that others like them as well.

Veronika

I think the "classic" freediving mask (if there is such a thing) is the Scubapro Futura style, by whatever manufacturer. Mine was made by Imersion; I think the Aqualung Luna is another version as well. I've never known anyone to be dissatisfied with the style -- it seemed almost universal when I started diving 10 years ago -- but it's no longer cutting edge, as there are several super low volume masks now.

Hi Ctaut,

If you have a good fitting aqualung mask now it is a good bet the inner skirt is bout 10.5cm and you are ok with this inner skirt, you won't find any problems using the Aqualung Luna or the Cressi Supercocchio which are cheap enough that you can do some modification to them if they don't fit that well:
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=39876"]Mask Update[/ame]

Spend a bit more and you could get the Picasso Black Team.
Anyway, someone mentioned that the Sporasub Samurai, Cressi Superoccio, OMER Abyss, Mares and Picasso are from the same skirt molds.

Good luck in finding a good free diving mask.

SangP

Btw, since you are in Europe and the prices are really good, you can support this site and buy from:
http://shop.deeperblue.net/

Last edited:
Hi Ctaut,

Good advice given already, I'll only add some detail. If you are diving 15 m or less, low volume is not real important, almost any dual lense mask should do fine. In that situation, comfort and range of vision are more important. Deeper than 15 m volume gets important pretty fast and it is worth giving up something to get it.

Have fun trying things

Connor

I have a Sphera that I use for deeper dives, as well as a Falco that I use for spearing. Both are good masks that fit a wide face. I used to use a Look for scuba diving and these both fit me very well. The Sphera WILL scratch up easily and as a result I am on my third one- or is it my fourth?

At the end of last season I picked up an OMER Alien. It has an internal volume close to a Cressi Super-Occhio/ Scubapro Futura/ Omer Abyss/ Sporasub Samuari, but with a wider field of vision. They did this by moving the mask buckle off of the frame and onto the skirt- which means it can be folded flat and would work as a great back up mask for any tec diver out there. :cool: It's my new favorite mask that I now use all the time.

Jon

Last edited:
Hi,

I have an Aqualung Look mask now, and I want to buy another one for free diving.
Can somebody help me to choose a good freediving mask?

Thank You!

Hi ctaut,
I would say O.ME.R. Bandit or Abyss all the way! I have the Bandit and dive usually dive to 20m at the local springs. It's just a fantastic mask! The silicone is soft and the mask is extremely comfortable. Pretty much the exact same thing as the O.ME.R Abyss. Some other good masks- Technisub Micromask, I hear it's great.
O.ME.R. Zero3, if it fits your face.
Sporasub Mystic, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned.
These are all great masks that are all very low volume and should definitely be taken in to consideration.

Hi ctaut,
I would say O.ME.R. Bandit or Abyss all the way! I have the Bandit and dive usually dive to 20m at the local springs. It's just a fantastic mask! The silicone is soft and the mask is extremely comfortable. Pretty much the exact same thing as the O.ME.R Abyss. Some other good masks- Technisub Micromask, I hear it's great.
O.ME.R. Zero3, if it fits your face.
Sporasub Mystic, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned.
These are all great masks that are all very low volume and should definitely be taken in to consideration.

Maybe the Mystic didn't exist in 2005 :p

Haha! Good catch simos!!!!!!! I have failed to check the dates. What mask do you use currently?

I use a sphera in the pool and micromask for open water. I don't go very deep so mask doesn't matter really and the micromask seals better on my face. Sphera has great side visibility which I need in the pool.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT