• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving on a backpacking holiday

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

AjayT

Aug 1, 2016
Hi,

sort of a vague question, I just wondered if anyone had managed to do it?

That is, go on a freediving holiday with the minimal amount of stuff, just what you can carry on your back?

Be great to hear your story, like where you went, how long for, what you did, what did you carry? :)

Thanks,

Aj

Reactions: xristos
If you want to freedive with a freedive club then you can rent all your stuff.
I did both. recreational freediving with 1.5 neopreme pants, 2 rashguards, my fins, socks, weights mask and snorkle.

training with freedive club where i rented the 3mm wetsuit.

I don't mind walking with 20kg backpack but i can image people want to walk with less luggage.

Reactions: AjayT
Yes, I just went back from a backpacking freediving trip in Playa del Carmen, Mexico:D
I took a 30L backpack with me. I put the mask, snorkel, 1.5wetsuit, belt and other small stuff inside the backpack. The fins and GoPro pole are fixed on the side of the backpack. The rest things were just like daily essentials, laptop, wires.....
I finished my level2, dove in cenotes, dove with whalesharks....Just so much fun.

I haven't done day long trips but I go on a hike regularly with spearfishing equipment with me. It's 300 m. elevation difference, 4 km distance.
I take with me a small backpack with wetsuit (5 mm and 3 mm pants), socks and on my one hand I hold the fins and the other the speargun. Around my waist I tighten the belt with 4 kg on it and a knife.

By the way, great topic, I would like some clarification though, do you mean travelling by a car? staying in hotel ?

Hiya,

sorry for the late reply, ..., I went on a meditation retreat in France with Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, ..., best time ever :).

By the way, great topic, I would like some clarification though, do you mean travelling by a car? staying in hotel ?

I'd like to holiday with only what I can carry on my back, so no hotel or car, just a tent and public transport. Basically just live outdoors, dive and meditate all day :cool:

Reactions: xristos
Hi

I am off to Ibiza tomorrow on a free diving excursion. I ll be traveling light with just a backpack. The only kit I won't have with me, are me fins, which I can hire there.
Flying with just hand luggage and traveling light has a bid appeal to me. Which is why I also like free diving....it can be done with minimal equipment.....I can't wait

Shameless plug for a friend's company, but for dive camping/backpacking, check out the Reefreaper 60L dry bag backpack. I have an early prototype. As far as large, super durable backpack intended for free diving and spearing there is nothing like it. I have not flown with mine, but if not stuffed full it could compress to carryon size.

One other note regarding long fins (which won't fit in a carryon)... if they are carbon fiber, it won't damage the fin to fold them practically in half so they are short enough to fit inside a carryon size case...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT