• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freediving or skindiving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

btweikel

Dec 15, 2001
Anyone care to give an opinion on the different conatations of these two terms? Seems like freediving is a newer term than skindiving.

just words

The apnea diving (the way I like to call it) has some synonims like:
Freediving, breath-hold diving, skindiving, pulmon libre (spanish).
Some people make difference with snorkeling, because this is the easy part of apnea diving. I think are just words, maybe I only agree with the difference with snorkeling, since I rarely use a snorkel for apnea diving.
The real differece is your mind state in the water.

Sincerely

Frank Pernett

Efficiency of snorkel

I find that "Breath-hold diving" is the term most likely to be understood by non-freedivers in the U.S., and even many scuba divers. Most people don't understand any of the other terms except snorkeling, but snorkeling is not associated with diving below the surface. Many people do not associate "skin diving" with apnea; instead they think of scuba without a wet suit. "Apnea" is not a word known by many in the U.S. outside the medically trained. "Freediving" conjures up price rather than breath-hold.

I believe it was Cliff E. who said he just tells people he goes swimming, and I've adopted his answer - it's the only one that does not prompt 6 follow-up questions.

Frank's answer raises I another question I've had for some time regarding the use of a snorkel for recreational freediving.

I know everyone has to experiment to find his own preference, but I'm just wondering why Frank does not use a snorkel and what others do and why?

How do you do your breathe-up if not through a snorkel? . . . lying face up?

Will omitting the dead space of the snorkel increase my oxygen intake enough to make up for the increased energy required to roll face down to start the dive?

Will I be able to relax as thoroughly on my back as face down in the water?

I realize my questions are tangential to the subject of the post. I'll move it to a new thread if others think it warrants.

Last edited:
Rarely not never

Hola
As usual cjb had raised a good question.
I wrote that "I rarely use snorkel" that means sometimes I use it.

When I use it:

Training: when I'm doing surface swimming
Sea or lake: For surface swimming or breath up with bad time.

The rest of the time I don't use it.

For example, in dynamic apnea or static apnea I breath-up without it.
In Constant Ballast training (specially in lake) I prefer to lie down face up, for breath-up. But the weather has to be calm, because with many waves is hard to breath-up face up. The roll down can be done very smoothly, with little effort, and is easiest to pack without the snorkel (it can be done with it, but I don't like it).
Despite the breath-up (face up or snorkel) I always throw away the snorkel at the beginning of the dive. I never liked the movement of it, in the way up, and it's better to exhale before surfacing, than to blow an snorkel.
When I'm freediving for UW photography, always use a snorkel because it's more comfortable, and the freediving range is more conservative.

The snorkel is more dead space, but in a rough sea is the best way to breath-up.

I hope I had clarified the concept

Sincerely

Frank Pernett

I'm sold

The springs where I dive are perfectly calm, so I'll try your method this weekend Frank. Thanks for explaining.

The only problem I may have is bright sun in the eyes on these beautiful warm "winter" days, although I have to admit that the temperature here did not make it above 70 degrees F (21 deg C) today. (Gee, I really hope I didn't evoke envy from any of our far northern friends who are shoveling snow now. . . Erik.)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT