• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving or spearfishing wetsuit for skinny person?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

A wee bit moist

May 28, 2015
I had stopped freediving some years ago, but am now seriously considering taking it up again for my next holiday (Due to Corona, I intend to pass my holiday in a rather lonely setting, probably on some Croatian island.) I'm very skinny and have to select carefully which wetsuit brands I buy, because most wetsuits are too short or too wide ... or both. I'd like to get some advice on which brands to take into consideration when I look for a new suit. I'm looking for manufacturers whose suits are available in Europe. It can be either a freediving or a spearfishing design (I won't need any reinforced parts of the suit.). As I had a bad experience with buying a custom wetsuit in the past, I want to try first whether I can get away without having to order a custom suit.

I'm 1.85m (6'1") with a short torso and very long arms and legs. Weight is 69 kg. Years ago, Cressi size 2 was a still acceptable fit for me. I'd like to know if there are any suits that have a slimmer / more skinny cut than Cressi, or at least a similar cut, as I'll want to try on suits from more than one manufacturer before I decide on which to buy. Also of interest would be information about brands whose suits have particularly long legs.

Thank you very much in advance!

You are exactly my size. We aren't skinny; everybody else is fat. Don't know what your water temp is, butQuickSilver makes good surfer suits for us. I have one of their 3/2s and it fits just right. Not as warm as a freediving suit that fits right, but much better than surfer suits used to be.

Strongly suggest you go for a custom from a good maker. I have an Elios, nine years old, still fits and works perfect, just getting a little stiff and maybe a little less warm.

Good luck with your search.

I had stopped freediving some years ago, but am now seriously considering taking it up again for my next holiday (Due to Corona, I intend to pass my holiday in a rather lonely setting, probably on some Croatian island.) I'm very skinny and have to select carefully which wetsuit brands I buy, because most wetsuits are too short or too wide ... or both. I'd like to get some advice on which brands to take into consideration when I look for a new suit. I'm looking for manufacturers whose suits are available in Europe. It can be either a freediving or a spearfishing design (I won't need any reinforced parts of the suit.). As I had a bad experience with buying a custom wetsuit in the past, I want to try first whether I can get away without having to order a custom suit.

I'm 1.85m (6'1") with a short torso and very long arms and legs. Weight is 69 kg. Years ago, Cressi size 2 was a still acceptable fit for me. I'd like to know if there are any suits that have a slimmer / more skinny cut than Cressi, or at least a similar cut, as I'll want to try on suits from more than one manufacturer before I decide on which to buy. Also of interest would be information about brands whose suits have particularly long legs.

If your upper body is more or less standard, get an off-the-rack jacket and order custom pants. Polosub or Elios make excellent custom suits - open cell one or both sides. Polosub pants would cost you a very reasonable amount. Or go custom on both pants and jacket. i use Polosub and if you get the measurements right - the suit will be fine

Reactions: Mr. X
Rightly or wrongly I tend to associate Omer with slimmer fit, and Mares, Beuchat and Rob Allen with a more "normal"/broader fit.

Had to return my son's Seacsub wetsuit, weird fit: too short, very tight around wrist and ankles but very over large around thighs. Can only think it was made wrongly made or labelled or intended for a petite but curvy woman - but even that seems a stretch.

I too favour Elios made to measure - go low spec, fine for spearing. Measure many times, both sides, hot and cold and then average; allow a bit extra space around the throat.

My off the shelf Mares suit is far more stretchy, so quite accommodating. But I am more heavily built with long torso ( something like 6' and 94kg/206lb/14st 10') - the legs are little bit too long for me but not a problem.

Rightly or wrongly I tend to associate Omer with slimmer fit, and Mares, Beuchat and Rob Allen with a more "normal"/broader fit.

Had to return my son's Seacsub wetsuit, weird fit: too short, very tight around wrist and ankles but very over large around thighs. Can only think it was made wrongly made or labelled or intended for a petite but curvy woman - but even that seems a stretch.

I too favour Elios made to measure - go low spec, fine for spearing. Measure many times, both sides, hot and cold and then average; allow a bit extra space around the throat.

My off the shelf Mares suit is far more stretchy, so quite accommodating. But I am more heavily built with long torso ( something like 6' and 94kg/206lb/14st 10') - the legs are little bit too long for me but not a problem.
Another reason to get a Polosub suit for example is a quality of neoprene. Stretchy and fluffy neoprene is usually more compressible with age. I have used my 5mm Polosub jacket for 7 years one month every year and it is still perfectly serviceable - albeit compressed a bit. Also now a lot of Italian brands use Chinese neoprene or Yamamomoto 39 which is fluffier than 38 but compresses quite easily. So if you dive regularly below 15 meters - I would suggest Polosub that uses Daiwa neoprene I believe in their cheaper suits. Not sure what Elios uses these days.

My Elios suit is made of their cheapest Ecoline neoprene and it still works great after almost 15 years. I too prefer that stiffer neoprene for made to measure suitsbut it's not appropriate for off the shelf suits. Elios sell stiffer, more expensive neoprene but it's intended for SCUBA divers who spend extended periods of time at depth. Elios told me that for spearfishing you don't need anything beyond Ecoline - and after using it for so long, I completely agree with them.

I tend to reach for my old black Elios suit more often than my much newer camo Mares suit. It's like a comfy old jumper :D - a faithful companion. :)

My Elios suit is made of their cheapest Ecoline neoprene and it still works great after almost 15 years. I too prefer that stiffer neoprene for made to measure suitsbut it's not appropriate for off the shelf suits. Elios sell stiffer, more expensive neoprene but it's intended for SCUBA divers who spend extended periods of time at depth. Elios told me that for spearfishing you don't need anything beyond Ecoline - and after using it for so long, I completely agree with them.

I tend to reach for my old black Elios suit more often than my much newer camo Mares suit. It's like a comfy old jumper :D - a faithful companion. :)
Of course, they sell the softest off-the-rack suits to accommodate all possible variations and those suits compress fast. The whole point of a custom suit is to be able to use stiffer more resilient neoprene. It is especially important in thicknesses 5mm and up. Most people do not understand that and are seduced by the softness and pliability of the premade suits. Well, if you float on the surface - you do not care I guess. Modern Mares suits look like garbage - the knee protector is not a proper rubber patch but some sort of a film that peels off immediately. For my 125cm chest I have no option anyway but to go custom and I can recommend Polosub wholeheartedly. I srated off with Elios but they cave a cumbersome order process.

I have the opposite problem from you- I'm short and wide. Buy my custom Polosub ordered from a shop in California that took my measurements is the best fitting suit I've ever had.

I have the opposite problem from you- I'm short and wide. Buy my custom Polosub ordered from a shop in California that took my measurements is the best fitting suit I've ever had.
Could be cheaper to go straight to the source and avoid a middleman. But ordering from NA can save you on shipping. Polosub periodically 'loses' its North America rep. Looks like now there are a few websites that take orders (and relay them to Italy) but they charge too much. Polosub keeps your measurements forever by the way - easy to order next time

Let me tell you why I prefer to order from a shop. The shop takes my measurements. If it doesn't fit its the shop's fault or Polosub's fault, but not my fault. Before I placed the order I asked the shop owner what happened if it didn't fit. He said he'd give me my money back. I have a large social media presence among Southern California divers and a lot of the young guys respect may opinion. The shop would not have wanted me posting that I got screwed on this suit. One of my best dive buddies let hit wife take his measurements. The neck is a bit too tight. As far as I know, Polosub is not offering to give his money back. He's on his own.

I've previously been buying suits from a custom suit maker here in California for over 20 years. They offer to let you send in your measurements but I prefer to drive 50 miles and let them measure me. Then they offer to mail the suit to me but I prefer to drive to the shop and try it on there. A couple of times there have been minor problems and they have go to lunch while they fix them. I'm happy because my suits fit and they are happy because I give them good reviews on social media.

Let me tell you why I prefer to order from a shop. The shop takes my measurements. If it doesn't fit its the shop's fault or Polosub's fault, but not my fault. Before I placed the order I asked the shop owner what happened if it didn't fit. He said he'd give me my money back. I have a large social media presence among Southern California divers and a lot of the young guys respect may opinion. The shop would not have wanted me posting that I got screwed on this suit. One of my best dive buddies let hit wife take his measurements. The neck is a bit too tight. As far as I know, Polosub is not offering to give his money back. He's on his own.

I've previously been buying suits from a custom suit maker here in California for over 20 years. They offer to let you send in your measurements but I prefer to drive 50 miles and let them measure me. Then they offer to mail the suit to me but I prefer to drive to the shop and try it on there. A couple of times there have been minor problems and they have go to lunch while they fix them. I'm happy because my suits fit and they are happy because I give them good reviews on social media.
Well, this is cool if they take your measurements! It is always a problem and a very stressful process because I am afraid to get it wrong. I live in NJ and here there is very little stuff for spearos and freedivers. I had my share of issues and lost money ordering from Europe but my Polosub suits are very, very good. They would not tell me which neoprene they use but they told me that it is the same for the sandwich open cell on both sides type and a regular open cell one side type.

I would agree Omer makes suits on the thin and tall side. My large UP-W14 is hard to zip up and tight in the limbs at 6'1" 180 lbs. Even the medium was long enough but way too thin.

Rightly or wrongly I tend to associate Omer with slimmer fit
I would agree Omer makes suits on the thin and tall side. My large UP-W14 is hard to zip up and tight in the limbs at 6'1" 180 lbs. Even the medium was long enough but way too thin

My experience so far with Omer has been that their suits fitted me well for most of the body, but created a bulge in the belly area that drew so much water that I got cold very quickly. It could be that they were cut for people with a long torso, but with not so long limbs.

Does anybody know whether their Umberto Pelizzari line has a different cut from their standard suits? Or whether Omer has modified its cut within the last few years?

It is hard to say if there is a difference between the suits but the UP-W14 fits nice and tight at a 31" waist which is in general hard to find in an off the shelf fit. The suit is quite similar to the ORCA Free wetsuit in features. My shoulder width is the hardest thing to get in the suit and the zipper starting at the neck does not help with that, but is tight all the way down.

Hey there! So cool that you are back after a few years, I did the same 8 years ago and never looked back.
Even if you send your exact measurements to the milímeter if would be impossible for anyone here to tell you what the perfect suit for you would be, unless we have a member with exact the same body size that has tried several off the shelf suits out there.
The very best advise I can give you is to up your budget by 70 bucks, bite the bullet and send the guys from PoloSub in Rome and email. They make custom open cell wetsuits and I truly believe they are the best out there. My opinion is based on my experience with:
Spetton, cressi, salvimar, Omer and scorpions suits. Both lined and smooth skin.

I believe this is the only true solution for people with slightly unusual body types.

welcome back and looking forward to your update!
Ramsey

I also have Elios wetsuits, albeit not the EcoLine so I cannot comment on that particular line. I am however extremely happy with the quality and the fit.
I did a review a couple of years back if you are interested on my two wetsuits from them: https://swissspearo.blogspot.com/2015/08/review-elios-sub-custom-wetsuits.html . I initially was afraid about the fit, but I had myself measured by a tailor to be sure. People often said things like "but what if your weight/body shape changes!', but I don't see how that would be much different from an off the shelf wetsuit and the comfort of my custom wetsuit outdoes anything I could have gotten off the shelf.

In theory, a soft stretchy off the shelf wetsuit should be more accommodating for body shape/size changes but I found my made to measure wetsuit surprisingly accommodating. Probably because all the proportions are correct for me to start off with, changes are well distributed.

In theory, a soft stretchy off the shelf wetsuit should be more accommodating for body shape/size changes but I found my made to measure wetsuit surprisingly accommodating. Probably because all the proportions are correct for me to start off with, changes are well distributed.
My body shape is way too extreme for even the softest and stretchiest off the shelf suit to accommodate. Maybe 40 years ago in my scuba years custom suits were hard to come by but there was a company in Washington state (I think the name was Henderson) that offered them. So I went into a Southern California shop that was a dealer and had them measure me. The shop sent the measurements to the company and a few days later got a phone call. The company said that the measurements must be wrong and asked that the shop measure me again. They measured me again and got the same results. Henderson made the suit and it fit perfectly.

This let me know how really "special" I am. In retrospect I wish had asked them to explain exactly what it was about me that caused them to challenge the measurements.

• Love

I think you are right, it's a question of proportions

I think you are right, it's a question of proportions
Another thing I have observed on off the shelf suits is that the Lycra used on the outside, has more stretch in one axis than the other.
my Salvimar suit would stretch a lot horizontally on the extremities, but not vertically . The opposite applied to the torso section ....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT