• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freediving records - Help

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

peteder

Oct 12, 2004
Could someone help me sort out the (world) freediving records confusion? First, why so many organizations to verify records?
AIDA, F.R.E.E, IAFD? Which is the most respected organization?
The women's records for example are very confusing. F.R.E.E. (http://www.divingfree.com/) recognizes Yasemin Dalkilic, as a world record holder, but her deepest dive is 120m/394 ft.

AIDA
(http://www.aida-international.org/current_world_records.htm) recognizes Tanya Streeter as the current world record holder at 160m.

IAFD (http://www.iafdusa.com/audrey_files/rsched.htm) which looks like a Pipin Ferreras website, not an organization that verifies freediving records, states that Audrey Mestre during one of her practice dives (two days before her accident) reached the amazing depth of -170 meters (558 feet). "The IAFD which was present during the practice dive recognized it as a World Record."

Is it believed by most of the free diving community of experts that Mestre really attained that depth? If so, how do others in good conscious claim to be the no limits world record holder? Pipin Ferreras, claims to have matched that depth in a homage dive. If he did that would make his dive deeper than Loïc LEFERME's dive of 162m as listed on the AIDA site, correct?

I am sure that there are all types of catogories to sort this stuff out like there is for stockcars, dragsters, and NASCAR, but what the average person wants to know is who has gone the deepest, i.e., what is THE RECORD. Can't we just have it on one list?

Comments to help sort out the confusion?

Records

The freediving world is not perfect yet...

There is four different organizations, AIDA, FREE, CMAS and maybe still IAFD... they have all there own rules, and thats why there is different records.( there rules are not exactly the same)

AIDA is the biggest and the most respected...

The deepest in No Limit is "today" Pipin with 170m (IAFD)... but in the end of October this record will be history(AIDA)

And about Audrey dive...

IAFD was the organizer. Her last training three days before she died tragicaly in her attempt to 170 meter. In this training she had a computer that show 170, but after test of this computer by Kim McCoy, a physical oceanographer with extensive experience in scientific research, data acquisition, autonomous instrument system design, development and in coastal, deepwater and Polar field operations, the dive was measure to be max 168 meter. After this 168 meter trainingdive she come up with a big smile... it was soo easy, and she was very happy.
This dive took 2'55", 1'34" down, and 1'21" up.
(i was there, one meter from her)

on this link you find ALL records in sea...
http://www.apneamania.com/code/worldrec_main.asp?typeID=spr&specID=tll

regards,
Bill Strömberg

Hi bill!

if you were there can you please tell what really happened there when she died?

I heard from someone who knows one of the safety divers that there whas a lack of safety divers since they where drunk after celebrating the successful training dive!!!

2 years

Freediver81, who are you? ..it would be nice if you sign with your name.

Yes I was there... every second, and today it 2 year and one day ago... and I still remember everything like it was last week.
And there is not one day I don't think about this, and yesterday my thoughts where with Pipin the whole day....

...I don't think it make and difference today what kind of "lack" there was that day. Something went terrible wrong... and of course the safety could be a "little" better that day, thats what I think.

regards,
Bill

Reactions: naiad and fpernett
hello bill!

my name is Said!

Yesterday, my heart also was with pippin! I admire him and I admired Audrey, may she rest in peace!

The reason I asked you what I asked is that others can learn from the unfortunate mistake!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT