• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving San Juan,Puerto Rico.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ROBERT REYES

Oct 6, 2003
We were Blue Water Hunting, looking for Tuna,Wahoo ,Mahi Mahi or whatever
big pelagic fish on our warm clear waters of Puerto Rico.

Water are extremely deep, but this pelagics are actually in the water column
closer to the surface, not much deeper that 30 meters, and most come very close to the surface curios to investigate anything new or whatever mught look like a bait ball so they can eat.

It had been a really pretty day, Sunny, windless, water was calm, we had found a few mahi mahi and my friend had just shot a wahoo when all of a suden a big shape appears at the "limit" of visibility, water is so clear that
we can see things from way over 100 feet away, so normally things look small and just keep growing as they aproach, so seeing this thing that looked
big from a long distance was disconcerting, we though maybe a big tiger shark aproaching to fight for our wahoo.

When it was close enough and we realiced it was actually a whale, we thought it was a Humpack whale, since we see them often, normally we can hear them from a distance, but this one was diferent, it was fast, agile, xtremely curious, and it had the distintive pectoral fins of the smallest of the balleen whales, a Minkie Whale, I have never seen one underwater, and I thought we did not had them in our waters.

This gorgeous animal stayed with us , and we turned from hunters to Photographers in an instant, our freediving skills help us take good pictures underwater, an our hunting skills allow us to allow animals to get close to us without fear, and we took advantage of it, not to mention how humble one feels when such creatures give us the priviledge of their company.

One day I will never forget.

Attachments

• Roberto Reyes Minke Whale41.jpg
    Roberto Reyes Minke Whale41.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 254
Absolutely amazing Robert!! Do you have any more pictures you can share?

Hi Fox
You mean of the Minke whale?

I do have more , will look for them and post.
i took one that i really really lke.

Here a few more:

Attachments

• M1.jpg
    M1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 227
  • M3.jpg
    M3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 185
  • M4.jpg
    M4.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 208
  • M22.jpg
    M22.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 201
He is such an interesting looking beast!
I have a feeling I would be terrified if I saw such an animal unexpectedly!!

Wow Roberto, a fabulous experience. Thanks for sharing.

As clear as the water was, I get very little feeling for how big I know that beast is. Even with a gopro, he must have been a long way off in most of those pics.

Wonderful stuff. Got any more??

Connor

This are not new pics, they were not taken with a go pro, but with a regular sony camera with a UW case.
Whale was around 25-30 feet long.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT