• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving Scooter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ADR

Jan 21, 2004
As some of you are probably aware...I like to build stuff! I've been investigating how to build a freediving scooter. I think I want more power than the Mako or Apollo and don't want to spend what it costs to get a Gavin DIR model. I'm intending to use a 70lb thrust standard trolling motor filled with ATM fluid so that it is capable of depth. Has anyone tried this sort of thing with any level of success? I saw a thread on a scuba site that used the ATM fluid and apparently the motor still worked fine. Great way to lubricate the seals and remove any pressure problems in one simple approach.

Thanks

Andy
Sydney

I did help a friend back in mallorca to build a scooter from two scrap ones an engine and lot's of dry batteries... like you I love this stuff :D

The results... good for what he need: he does a lot of cavediving and need a lot of power to pull all his gear and tanks to set the long dives. He always carry a main scooter in perfect conditions (and set another on the line), the DIY one is to spare batteries during long attempts.

No idea about the names of the scrap scooters (the old ones torpedo shaped with a light on the front) and he was really proud of his engine.

Why you need such power? The Gavins are like a powerful tractor to pull cave divers and all they gear... nothing to do with the delicacy and speed of freediving!

I will ask my friend about the ATM, is quite a bit on to deep cavediving and should know...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT