• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving snorkel question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

michaelk

Jul 20, 2007
Hi Everyone

I'm new to freediving and need advice in finding a good snorkel.

I noticed that most freediving snorkels are not equipped with a "purge valve"
is there a special reason for that?

I've used snorkels with purge valve while scuba diving/snorkeling and found
them to be very convenient...

Thanks in advance

Michael

As many freedivers ( particulary spearos ) do not keep snorkel in mouth while diving, it is less useful because you breathe directly once you reach the surface. Personally, I dont like purge valves because the ones I tried were not always efficient with strong waves (Some water came in....) .
I'd say it depends on what equipment you feel the most comfortable ^^

a purge valve makes life easier but makes the snorkel more expensive and as most freedivers leave the snorkel at the top (attach some floaty stuff) - you tend to lose a lot of snorkels!

most important thing really is that the snorkel is rigid so it does not flop into the water if you breathe through it without attaching it to the mask - a lot of scuba snorkels have a floppy bit so it falls out of the way when you put a reg in, you don't want that

S

I have two different ones that I use for different things.

I own a simple J-tube for freediving- mad by OMER.

I also own a purge valve snorkel that I use fro spearfishing when there are whitecaps on the water- a very old Scubapro Shotgun snorkel.

I really like the OMER for freediving because I hardly notice it when it's hanging off the back of my mask after I spit it out on descent.

For scuba I use an Aqualung "snap" snorkel because it rolls up into a ball and I can stuff it into my thigh pocket and never think about it. :)

Jon

Like Jon, I too use two different snorkels for different things.

Freediving = simple J (unless I am in conditions where there are a lot of waves)

Spearfishing (freshwater...not a ton of diving...) I like one with a perge below the mouth piece and a valve on the top that does not allow water in due to wave action...

My 2 cents.

Gene

I prefer a simple J. I use it for spearfishing & in the pool. I have a few snorkels but always use my flexible Beauchat Tubair - the flex is useful if the snorkel snags weed, rocks or floatline, as jarring is significantly reduced. It was inexpensive - about half the price of an Omer Zoom. My other J's are a little stiffer but probably just as good. I just like to use the same snorkel for everything, so that it becomes familiar and I don't get surprised.

I find J's clear more reliably. I can easily clear the J-snorkel consistently with half of a breath, whereas my semi-dry snorkel with drain valve at the bottom often takes somewhere between 2 half puffs and 2 full puffs - quite annoying after a while. It is fine for surface snorkelling in the sea (although a full dry top would probably be better). Children seem to find valves easy to cope with when starting out surface snorkelling too, although it won't teach them how to blast clear a J-tube.

I leave my snorkel in when I dive. That was how I learnt decades ago, and it long ago became second nature. Removing the snorkel seems a hassle to me and would take some getting used to. Both approaches have a few benefits and drawbacks. Perhaps removing the snorkel makes more sense for the serious apnea-ist making a few long/deep dives. I tend to make frequent shorter, shallower dives, looking for fish & crab (I believe this a common approach for spiking flatfish too) - keeping the snorkel in makes this a fairly seamless process.

Last edited:
In case emergency, with the purge valve one is not convenient to make mouth to mouth on the water..Whatever u blow, it will come off from purge, but simple solid J snorkel is both more comfortable like friends stated above also right one for first aid..
cheers

Mr X - one of the reasons we teach people not to dive with the snorkel in is that, it was thought, that if you black out, you are pretty likely to have something happen called "laryngospasm" - where your mouth locks shut to protect your airway. If you have a snorkel in, it would lock shut on your snorkel, hence creating a nice little pipeway to your lungs! so - not a good idea

However, I've just read a DAN paper that puts the whole idea of laryngospasm into questions - so maybe it's not such a black and white issue any more.

personally a wobbling snorkel (in my mouth or on my mask) drives me crazy when I dive. I'd rather just not use one at all and breath up on my back.

S

Reactions: Mr. X
Well, laryngospasm closes the airway inside of the throat, not through the jaws, so having or not having snorkel has probably relatively little impact from this point of view. On the other hand you are probably right anyway that water would enter the mouth and throat quicker with a snorkel in than without it. The water could be then inhaled on the surface, once the laryngospasm releases (or oppositely the water in the throat would keep the laryngospasm blocked).

Personally I do not use snorkel for pure freediving training, but mostly do keep it in my mouth all the time when recreationally freediving - I simply need and want to keep my face under water, and the snorkel does not disturb me during the dives. Some people have problems compensating with snorkel in, some do not like water possibly entering their mouth, others mind the wobbling, and spearos or photographers prefer removing the snorkel and flooding it so with water to avoid accidental release of bubbles from it when in mouth, which would scare off all the fish they are after.

i had both with and without purge valve snorkel
defenetly the one without purging valve is for the better
i simply throw away the one with purging valve...
i stick with my old "J"

...laryngospasm closes the airway inside of the throat, not through the jaws...

It would be nice to get clarification on something that I read somewhere on the net long time ago. Perhaps this is not the right topic, but I hope no one would mind as conversation has already turned that way.
If you keep the urge to breathe under control until you BO, your jaws' muscles will go into spasm that will keep your mouth shut - for a few minutes. True or false?
Much obliged.

The first sign of LMC or BO is often the releasing of air from the mouth, so I doubt it is the general case that jaw muscles go into spasm during BO, though I do not exclude it may happen. Anyway, laryngospasm does not involve the jaw muscles.

The jaw does clamp shut during BO. I don't know if it has anything to do with laryngospasm, but it does often happen.

Anyway, laryngospasm does not involve the jaw muscles.
I tried to be specific - jaw muscles, not laryngospasm, as you hold snorkel with your jaw, not with your throat.
You see, when I started following freediving on the net, I found the main reason to take snorkel out of the mouth during the dive was exactly jaw muscles keeping mouth shut in the case of BO (provided the victim did not give in to the last contraction prior to BO). This would be additional safety to laryngospasm. I guess this is what they teach in most freediving courses?

So now, we seem to have opinions somewhat...let's say inconclusive...on many other related topics as well. I am certainly not sure what to think. So if anyone could shed some light on the problem, it would be appreciated.

so I doubt it is the general case that jaw muscles go into spasm during BO, though I do not exclude it may happen
false - from my knowledge and experience
...but it does often happen.
Not many (any?) deep BO have complained about water in their lungs after being brought to surface and revived by BTT.

For me on the whole spit or...... keep the snorkel in debate I always spit it out when i resurface I find it easier rather than spitting it out then or do a blast breath to clear the snorkel. I always thought the blast breath might just push you over the edge.

Reactions: Mr. X
For me on the whole spit or...... keep the snorkel in debate I always spit it out when i resurface I find it easier rather than spitting it out then or do a blast breath to clear the snorkel. I always thought the blast breath might just push you over the edge.
Spit or...:naughty :D
Good point, I'll time pull the snorkel out on reaching the surface if I'm not sure that I'll be able to clear it - or if a wave re-fills it. First time of heard of this being use as the main dive technique though.

Last edited:
Purely from a spearo point of view, spit your snorkel as you start your descent, it should be attached to your mask, the bubbles might scare fish and if you are doing 'aspetto' any air remaining in the snorkel will lift your head.

Sorry Mr X i just re read my last post, I spit the snorkel out as i dive down not just before resurfacing but still for the same reason above. Normally last breath in duck dive spit out snorkell and fin down.

when I use a snorkel for some reason I prefer to remove it at the bottom when I won't be equalizing any more. If I remove it at the surface it throws my eq off... go figure, bad eq. technique i'm sure

re types, experiment with both, the purge ones do make me relax more in choppy water

I have never found those mask to snorkel clips good, they always seem to twist things just the wrong way. I place under mask strap without the clip. Has anyone found a neat clipping idea that lines things up nicely?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT