• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving snorkel question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I have a Sherwood Edge snorkel with a purge valve. The snorkel has a clip on the side that attatces tot eh mask strap and it seems to fit jsut fine, no twisting or whatnot. I actualy have two of the same snorkel, a blue/clear one and a black one.

always under the strap for me azapa.I tried the clips and just seemed to pull the mask off on ascent regardless of the snorkell.

I use a omer black competition snorkel, normal J tube snorkel with a mask clip. The snorkel itself is flexible but not soft and the attachments and mouthpiece is very comfy. I remove the snorkel from my mouth when diving down but replace it on the way up so that just before you reach the surface like in the last 50 or 30cm or so, you look up and with a small puff you can clear the water out, still looking up. In that way I reach the surface and can imediately lay face down in the water breathing through my snorkel should something u/w require imediate attention, like a fish fighting on a spear or something you have to keep and eye on. I have used a snorkel with a purge valve before but neptune wanted it so I had to let it go without a fight, long story and also not one you easily share with serious divers, wouldnt want you lot to nip me on the knuckles ya know. But yea since then Ive only used the j tube and Im pretty comfartable with them...

I think that the best reason I've heard for spitting the snorkel on ASCENT is to avoid the blast breath. The blast breath could likely be the cause of blackout if you are pushing your limits, because you are losing the last bit of oxygen that you have.

Back on topic - I prefer my j-type snorkel because I feel less resistance to the air I'm sucking in, so I feel more relaxed during the breatheup.

Old shotgun scubapro snorkel for the win!:inlove I had mine for 6 years before it just broke. There was algae growing in it! rofl I had to buy the new ones they have. They are awesome too.

One thing i dont understand about snorkels is why arent they all oval shaped? The scubapro one is oval shaped. It cuts through the water way better than any round snorkel. And that clip on the snorkel is useless. I removed it.

scpsts.jpg

Last edited:
One thing i dont understand about snorkels is why arent they all oval shaped? The scubapro one is oval shaped. It cuts through the water way better than any round snorkel. And that clip on the snorkel is useless. I removed it.
The top half of my Beuchat Activa Tubair snorkel appears to be ovalized (or somewhat flatted) -- it does seem like a good idea.

Could have done with a dry top snorkel yesterday: two large slow waves filled my snorkel just as I was breathing in before diving. Awkward timing to clear it. That combined with stabbing headaches & an all garage-chocolate breakfast had me barfing:yack. Back to Weetabix for breakfast, pre-dive, for me!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT