• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving Software

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BlueIcarus

New-born freediver
Aug 1, 2003
Does anyone know about a decent freediving training tracking software (apart from some static table training round the net) ?
What good you like to see in a good Apnea training software?

Some ideas:

Volume tracking: minutes of total static/week,
meters swimmed underwater/week, deep meters /week at the sea, distance walked in apnea (apnea walking) /week.

Training Planning: CO2 and O2 tables based on current maximum, dynamic CO2 tables, walking apnea variations, dynamic sprints, lactate training, Technique drills, etc..

Maximum tracking (once a month?) : Static, Dynamic and
Depth. New maximums correct all the tables

Journal Entries: So you can annotate all the facts about diet, sleep, exercise, feelings, breathups, etc.. and correlate it with the new maxs achieved.

Anyone has begun something like this? :D

Maybe a good excel table can do all this ;)

Hi BlueIcarus,

I don't know if such a software exists, but I can volunteer to write it. The most important part is to gather requirements from the community...

Fabrice

yep, I'm also a software engineer and would like to see what is the general 'dream' software for training. What about a website up and running (like http://www.fitday.com) with members who use it for loggin training?
If the user agree, even general statistics could
be drawn with all users training data. i.e: average PB's. rate of progress versus (intensity, frecuency,duration), etc

Nowadays, my language of choice is Perl (Search Engine and Natural Language Processing Software), so I'm not much into building UI's :(

Re. Writing the Software

Just a suggestion;

If anyone here decides to write the software, consider writing it with open source tools, like QT from Trolltech, or PHP/MySQL, so it would be platform independent i.e. run on Mac, Linux and Windows.

Microsoft has gotten enough of our money, lets support the competition.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, there is a nice dive-logger called made by Reef-Net called the Sensus Pro.

They publish the format and encourage third party development. The manual and their dive manager software is available as a free download on their site:

http://www.reefnet.on.ca/products/sensus/index.asp

Of course the Suunto watches have some of these advantage too, and a very large installed base as well ...

Well, my goal would be to write a kind of "ultimate" freediving logbook sofware that will allow to :
- store diving session data (manual entry, import from D3, automatically generated from static tables sessions, etc)
- annotate sessions & dives individually
- annotate calendar entries with other data (diet, cross training activities, etc)
- build all kind of reports
- export them to a web site

If I missed something, please tell me !

I'll give it a try this summer if I have enough time (I also have to dive...). I'll use the wxWidgets GUI toolkit to get a cross platform application, and XML files for the data storage.

Fabrice

If people want to progress this DB will be willing to setup a website to host logbooks, etc... as well as the software.

Thanks for the offer, Stephan.

Now we need a cool name for the project :)

Fabrice

David,

Sounds good.

We've already started to form the nucleus of the team. The plan is being worked on and once development starts we'll need other coders and testers. The plan also is to make it open-source so people can help improve it over time.

Cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT