• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving suit for scuba?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

projas

Jan 24, 2002
What are the pro's :) and con's:( of using a freediving suit for scuba diving?

Thanks in advance,

Patricio

Well, I have a 5mm Picasso and I've used it for Scuba several times. Works great for all the same reasons it is great for Freediving (flexible, warm, dry).
It is however easily damaged. I managed to get a few small chunks taken out of my suit diving in a quarry. (though I suppose I shouldn't have been pulling myself through the engine compartment of the sunker van).

Pro: Excellent suit for any underwater activity
Con: Expensive and not as durable as a Scuba Suit

I'll probably use it until I can afford a dry suit :) Nothing but cold water around here (and the Picasso is awesome in cold water as well).

depth?

Hi,

I have used my 7mm Picasso Commercial quite a bit for scuba.
The Commercial is a very tough suit and I have had no wear problems with it all. The down side of using a freedive suit is also its strong point, its ability to flex, and compress. Compression becomes a problem at depth because you get colder faster than in a conventional wet suit. I remember one dive last fall when we had maxed out our bottom time at 120' and had headed home. We stopped at the local dive shop to wash out the gear, and I was so impressed that the dive shop provided hot water for rinsing gear, right from the hose, quite remarkable. Well you guessed it I was highly hypothermic and had mistaken cold tap water for hot water. No it was not a long hose that had been out in the sun. I was cold. So that being said, I guess it depends on the water temp. In the long haul I suspect that the suits have evolved for reasons, very good reasons and that there is no one suit that will do it all well.

Fd48

Once again, f48 speaks muy truth.

I've got a 7mm Picasso commercial also that I had kevlar "rug" kneepads added to and it pretty much does everything I ask it to do. See my comments on the "Suit you sir?" thread. Maybe if you luck out, the moderator types here will put a direct link up for you.

via.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT