• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving with a replacement Aortic valve?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Craigmt

Jul 3, 2016
Does anyone have expertise or advise about the safety of freediving with a replaced heart valve? Any thoughts or references would be appreciated.

Well, you certainly were at a risk freediving with a defective aortic valve to begin with. However, the answer isn't that simple and no one here will give you medical advice including myself.

You are likely on either blood thinners or anti rejection meds for that valve plus whatever other medical conditions you may have, all of which play a role in freediving. You can hemorrhage with pressure changes or an accidental cut, and or get a nasty infection from the multitudinous bacteria and protozoa that dwell in the deep, resulting in loss of life or limb.

The prudent thing to do would be to clear it with your doctor and the surgeon who did the valve. Explain to them about how freediving affects the body because they may not know (the changes in pressure, bradycardia, etc). A good doctor to speak to as well may be one specializing in hyperbarics, since they treat dive injuries all the time.

I wouldn't dive at all until I had concensus from at least several doctors who know you.

Reactions: Johny Depth
*or any heart valve not just aortic
*or any heart valve not just aortic
No on blood thinners and rejection medicines...I do have mild hypertension and natural bradycardia. Cardiologist and surgeon both do not understand the physiology of mammalian dive reflex. I understand about dispensing medical advise on forum but I could use some good, legitimate resources...

Reactions: Johny Depth
No on blood thinners and rejection medicines...I do have mild hypertension and natural bradycardia. Cardiologist and surgeon both do not understand the physiology of mammalian dive reflex. I understand about dispensing medical advise on forum but I could use some good, legitimate resources...

Hyperbaric doctor

A condition where the valve between the principle siphoning office of the heart and the body's primary vein quits working appropriately can either be inborn, age-related, or the aftereffect of different illnesses TelltheBell.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT