• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freediving without mask...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mlaen

Making progress...
Jun 22, 2003
I was wondering, could
i have any problems with my eyes if I'm freediving without mask, just with nose clip (which I still dont have:) )?
How does the pressure effect my eyes?

Reactions: thud
I'de say pressure doesn't affect them at all.
Or atleast won't affect them any differently then wearing a mask -3atm of air is the same as 3atm of water. just as a kilo of feathers is as heavy as a kilo of lead.

What I would be concered about is the water. If in sea, then salinity might iritate you badly after some while, and might even hurt your eyes, but I don't know about that.
Pollution could also be a problem.
Not being able to see very well should be enough to forget about it I think. It's also a metter of safety. You might not be able to see a thin thread that you've got stuck into for example. Or seeing a Jellyfish (not to mention get burned by one in the eyes:().

If in the pool then I'de say forget about it at all. Chlorine is supposed to kill living cells. I would'nt want that to touch the membrane of my eye (more than the usual exposure once in a while).

My opinion: do you own pipe/fluid goggles for a nose clip.

You don't see shit like that, why would you dive then?
And, the salty water makes nice red eyes... Chlorine has the same effect. You'll look like a serious weed addict!

Greets, joe

Reactions: thud
Originally posted by groats
You don't see shit like that, why would you dive then

I hate to equalize the mask!!!

Last edited:
Hi Gang,

Water Rat here. :)
So I don't gotta smoke WEED to have RED EYES??? Oooooooh, THAT'S a RELIEF--LOL!
Waiting with BATED BREATH for the RETURN TO THE POOL! :) :) :)
I had a mask--my #3 son gave it to me...but it didn't fit me. Neither did the fins or the snorkel. So, the Salvation Army got them.
ME?????? I'm gettin' ME into SHAPE....
Water Rat--USUALLY "WAITING TO EXHALE"

The real question is.

Why don't they make a contact lens for diving?

Scleral contact lenses are inconvenient, uncomfortable, and very expensive--plus, with lenses, you can only see under the water, not above the water.

If you don't want to equalize the mask, then use fluid goggles or a pipe mask.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

If you do not want to wear a diving mask, pipe mask, fluid goggles or the special freediving lenses (see www.otticarocchi.com for some info on them) there is also another alternative.

You could also protect the eyes against salt- or poolwater with large contact lenses without correction. For example the one day disposable contactlenses (SofLens™, Bausch&Lomb) of 14,5 mm in diameter.

You would not be able to see clear underwater which is the same situation as when you wear nothing underwater but your eyes would at least get some protection. It should be very comfortable for people used to wear contact lenses and it is relatively cheap to try out.

Send me a PM and I can bring you in contact with someone who uses these cotact lenses if you have detailed questions about their use.

Back to the POOL *TODAY*--if at All Possible!!!
Water Rat--who doesn't know nothin' about nothin'--BUT CAN JOLLY WELL HOLD HER BREATH!!!!!
(In MY defense--I do my *ridiculously long* holds DRY!!!)
I may be crazy--but I'm NOT stupid!!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT