• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedving awards ??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Walrus

Oz freediver
Oct 3, 2001
Is it just me or do some of the freediving awards not make any sense ?

I don't understand why Stig is considered a Rookie?!
Stig has been competing internationally since 2000 which is longer then Martin Stepanek, Guillaume Nery, and many others. So if you used that logic then Martin should be in the rookie category too?
Anyway I have nothing against Stig, he is an amazing freediver, I just think the categories are whacky. A big congrats to Stig on his recent 204m dynamic record. :D

And Tanya winning the women's category ?
In 2003 the following women set World Records:- Tanya Streeter 1 , Mandy-Rae CRUICKSHANK 1 , Annabel Briseno 2 (AIDA Recognition in progress), Renate DE BRUYN 1. So she is certainly not the only one. I think the real sport of freediving is competitions, this is what the majority do. Tanya did not compete at all in 2003. Or does it cover both 2002-2003 ?

Let's have a look at the 2002 AIDA pacific cup results :-
Mandy-Rae CRUICKSHANK 65m/6:06 , Annabel Briseno 58m/5:21, Lotta Ericson 55m/5:34, Sophie Passalacqua 57m/4:47.........
..................Tanya Streeter 45m/5:07.

I think maybe this one has a lot to do with who has more media exposure. :duh

Cheers,
Wal

i thought the best judge, coach, and organisation were strange categories. only a handful of people know each person in each category and are in a position to actually decide which person is the most deserving. the rest of the people (like me) were probably just 'guessing' or essentially picking a name at random!

best freedivers is much easier to decide, because everyone knows what they've achieved during the year.

yes, i thought Stig had been around a while too? i was surprised that Sophie (the French girl who won at Cyprus) didn't get into the shortlist.

i didn't directly vote myself - i was just asked for input as a committee member of the BFA (AIDA UK).

I did not even know these awards existed, how long have they been running.

Walrus, your statements are not quite correct. Tanya broke 2 world records, the Variable and Constant NF. But then ask yourself which of the women you mention broke a mans record as well, Tanya is the only one. I think having read the rules the nominations and votes are for those who have achievements within the sport and what they do to promote the sport. If that is the case I feel certain that Tanya does deserves to get the womans award. But then I am biased.

In the world of PR and marketing the companies we work with calculate value by what they call impressions. If a mag has 20k readers then thats 20k impressions. I have done a rough calculation of the worldwide TV and print media for 2003 and Tanya has 350 million impressions and thats just the ones I know of, and there are certainly many more. So thats 350 million people who have seen, heard or read about freediving. We have just filmed a PSA for ACAP which will be seen by 500 Million people in ASIA through the discovery channel. I think all of this certainly deserves some recognition.

Best and merry Xmas.

Paul

Belated awards nomination

I think I should have been nominated for the award for "Least Active and Least Motivated Freedivers who wear 7mm [or thicker] wetsuits, in the 69Kg. weight class." I had to work very hard to reach the total lack of motivation I exhibited throughout the season. Yours, unmotivated, CM. [Look out for me next year in the same category!]

Re: Belated awards nomination

Originally posted by Chris M
I think I should have been nominated for the award for "Least Active and Least Motivated Freedivers who wear 7mm [or thicker] wetsuits, in the 69Kg. weight class." I had to work very hard to reach the total lack of motivation I exhibited throughout the season. Yours, unmotivated, CM. [Look out for me next year in the same category!]
I've won that award two years running. You'll have to do some amazing procrastination to knock me of the top Chris. I'm far lazier than anyone can imagine.:hmm

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT