• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freeze-a-palooza 2010

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Who will be Attending the 2010 Freeze-a-Palooza?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think we should meet at the Outlet around 9 AM on Sunday morning.

If it looks good we can spear and if it looks like crap, or is frozen over, it makes for a great staging area to dive the river.

Half the cars can park at Yahara Place Park and then we can drive up to Tenny Park to start the dive.

Jon

Looks like I'm out. :(

My wife's grnadmother had a pretty serious stroke this week and we need to go visit her in Milwaukee.

I hope you guys have fun- and take pictures!

Jon

Going to meet at THE OUTLET at 9am SUNDAY 7th. If it's open we will probably swim around there, bring your spears if you want fish. I may just bring my pole spear. I will have my video Camera- It's been awhile since I've made a video. I past due. We will go out to eat afterwards- for whoever wants to join. We will not have any place to change into our normal clothes- we usually just use a towel and change in our cars or some of us have JAMMERS and change outside the cars. It's cold and not very much fun changing.

"The Outlet" and fish are the magic words...I will try to make it..I am not in California(Scott knows).....Vladas give me a call

I was hoping to do the thru the ice deal, if thats out, it is a bit of a hassel just to do the river, which we do here localy all the time. i will have to be out of that event. that is a shame, i have been shuffeling scheduals back and forth to get this day off for the last month, as have others im sure....

that realy realy bites.
i will check again late tonight to see if this majicaly comes thru. if you guys are voting, then i put in a vote for considering lake Okiboji in northern Iowa, vis is like 40ft or so. and has large carp also.im going to check this spot out sometime this year.. also has a well established dive shop on the lake that may be helpfull.

The OUTLET is a part of LAKE MONONA that is sometime OPEN WATER due to a power plant's warm water discharge - It's not the River. The Reason the ICE DIVE is cancelled, the one and only BEACH HOUSE was rented out by a Scuba club, usually they do their Ice Cert Class the 2nd weekend of FEB- but this year they are the 1st weekend and were able to Rent it from LAST year- It was a consideration that we could share the beach house but would have to cut our own holes, But that was only for SOME FREEDIVERS- who have gone through a Freediving Course. So, I made the decision to Cancel it as MOST of the people have not taken a Freediving Course and would not be allowed to share the beach house. You really need that warm building when doing Ice Dives. We will see about doing it a bit earlier next year.

This year, We are diving the OUTLET if it's open (which it should be) In the EVENT it's frozen over, we will swim the whole Yahara River and look for weird things.

Spaight St, Madison, WI - there is a PArk there we park across from CLARKE PARK

Sorry I couldn't make it guys. My wife's grandmother had a massive stroke and my father-in-law asked me to teach his ice diving (scuba) classes for him. I spent the whole weekend in the water, but had a tank on my back the whole time. Freediving is so much less hassle than scuba. ;)

The lake had 13" of ice and the vis was pretty decent, but there was snow cover so it wasn't quite as nice as last year. Maybe there's still a a chance we could get the beach house for one of the coming weekends?

We had holes cut in 35' and 50' of water that were WAY closer to shore than the ones that were cut last year- which would make it nice for no-suit dives.

Jon

Ended up swimming the YAHARA RIVER - the OUTLET ended up being frozen. It was some cold water! 33 degrees F. It was an interesting swim.

Attachments

• PIC_0868.jpg
    PIC_0868.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 216
  • PIC_0871.jpg
    PIC_0871.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 221
  • PIC_0874.jpg
    PIC_0874.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 218
  • PIC_0876.jpg
    PIC_0876.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 207
  • PIC_0878.jpg
    PIC_0878.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 237
Had a good time guys. Gave me the opportunity to take some shots with my new underwater housing. Here are some highlights from the swim.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 225
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 251
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Reactions: Whopperhead
..and few more...

Attachments

• IMG_6147.jpg
    IMG_6147.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_6146.jpg
    IMG_6146.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_6141.jpg
    IMG_6141.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 214
I didn't get any inwater shots because I was too busy with students; however, I did get a few photos of the prep and clean up work. There's always lots of work involved when it comes to ice diving.:head

Jon

Attachments

• Ice Dive scuba 001.jpg
    Ice Dive scuba 001.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 219
  • Ice Dive scuba 003.jpg
    Ice Dive scuba 003.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 218
  • Ice Dive scuba 005.jpg
    Ice Dive scuba 005.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 216
  • Ice Dive scuba 006.jpg
    Ice Dive scuba 006.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 217
  • Ice Dive scuba 018.jpg
    Ice Dive scuba 018.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 219
I like the staked-in "thin ice" signs much better than the orange snow fence. 4-Lakes SCUBA allows 50 feet of that crap to settle to the bottom of the lake every spring.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT