• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Frenzel step 3 "the soft palate" help!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SpearoPimp

Jun 9, 2004
I cant seem to do this step. I don't even now how it is supposed to feel. I can't exhale through my nose w/o any air coming out of my mouth. can anyone give me some tips on how to control the soft palate?

Inhale through your nose. Open your mouth, and then inhale through your nose only. Can you inhale only through your nose, with your mouth open?

Can you inhale only through your nose, with your mouth open?

no, i can't.

i don't know if can make that sound. i can alternate humming with a buzzing sound filling my head and ears then "close" that off and it doens't go into my head...is that it?

Let me try to help. If you open your mouth and say ahhhhhhh the air will come out of your mouth. If you extend it to ahhhhh-eeeeeeee(as in wheel), your tongue will rise and air will come out of your nose and mouth. Now, extend it again to ahhhhhhh-eeeeeee-nnnnnnnn. To make the n sound, the tongue touches the roof of the mouth and sends the air out the nose. If you exhale fully and don't move the tongue or the mouth, then relaxing the diaphragm will allow air to enter only through the nose with your mouth open. This is also the position that your mouth will be in when you do your last clear with a mouthfull of air. I had to practice this many times before I could do it in reverse and fill my mouth full of sea water through my nose.
Aloha
Bill

Last edited:
Bill's idea is great.

There is a sound that can do the test.

East Indian yogis mutter 'ommmmmmmmmm...'
Tibetan yogis mutter 'ong..........'

Say any word ending in 'ng', like batting, cheating, sleeping.... with your mouth open, and extend the final syllabel 'ng'......

If you can do that, you'll find the air only comes out of your nose, even with your mouth open.

ok i think i can control the soft palate now, but i can't do step 6.not sure which state is up or which is down for the soft palate. i'm guessing my problem is that i have it raised b/c the air in my cheeks just gets jammed and doesn't come out the nose. any tips?

Exhale against your closed epiglottis. You should feel some pressure on it. Then play with the soft palate. You should first get comfortable enough with step 3 to be able to feel when you're moving the soft palate.

If you have some pressure against the epiglottis, I find it easier to keep it closed. And you'll know if you cheated if you have your mouth open while doing this, since you'll hear the air escaping. You might even try packing some air so you don't have to actively concentrate on keeping the pressure.

You might also try the sound I send earlier, but while doing the humming, try to cut of the air with your epiglottis and then continue the same "ng" movement with the softpalate.

For more silly sounds you might want to look at my "vocal frenzel tutorial" (step 4). It may seem like a joke, but I'm convinced that it would help a lot of people if they could get past that fact ;)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT