• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

FREQUENCY of CO2 tables +/- Apneas

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Cap'n Blutooth

May 11, 2014
Started freediving for recreational foraging in 2009, but only go 2-3 days per year.
In very good shape, but have some "off" days, when holding breath is extra hard.
So, trying to practice static dry apneas and CO2 tables; improving.
Question is what FREQUENCY of CO2 tables +/- Apneas is OPTIMAL? I have read many places that twice per week is "good" - but is that a minimum, a maximum, an ideal? Is there a point where one is doing too much? What would be considered minimum, maximum, ideal? I understand CO2 tables are more important than Apnea tables to people like myself who cannot hold longer than 3-4 minutes yet, but I also like to see how long I can hold my breath from time to time - so a SECONDARY question is how frequent SHOULD I practice Apneas, and how frequent CAN I?
THANKS!!!

I read on this forum that benefit from doing O2/CO2 tables is very limited. You learn to tolerate contractions, you may learn to relax while holding breath and you find out the maximum breath hold for your lung capacity. But once you reach your maximum, it won't improve any more/very slowly. The reason is lung capacity needs to be increased which is a slow process.

While on freediving course, we did an interesting excercise I haven't read about elsewhere. Relax and breath for 3-4 minutes, then breath hold for 1 minute. After that fully exhale and inhale only once. Again hold for 1 minute. That was repeated about 8 times with the last being maximum hold. It was interesting because due to exhale/inhale you had enough oxygen in your lungs and blood, but still lot of CO2 due to the breath hold. I found this much more effective than doing pure CO2 tables.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT